The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
That's Absurd!!!
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is truly a great day. As I was driving to work this morning and I could believe my eyes – someone in my neighborhood had decided to give away a 110-gallon extra tall aquarium. His loss is my gain so I loaded this little monster into my truck and took it home. This thing appears to be in really good shape and the former owner was telling me it doesn’t have any leeks. Other than a scrubbing, I think all I’m going to do is drill the tank and replace the top structural cap, as it appears to be coming off.

Does anyone know where I can find something like this online?

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
Grab some polarized sunglasses.....look at the tank in the sun....you will see a difference in the glass if some is tempered and some is not.......IE......your windshield on your car is tempered, look through that with polarized sunglass if your not sure. And as for replacing the top brace......You can replace it with glass.......Glass Cages uses glass instead of plastic.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
yep. polarized glasses work great for that. If it's tempered you'll see what appears to be kinda blurry black spots like a checker pattern or something like that... er... it's weird to describe but you'll notice it. haha.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Is the center brace cut out? That size tank should have brace.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
not for nothing my tank was not manufactured with a center brace. look at the mold on the top was one cut from it?

my tank is a 150 72x28x18

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Look at the side window in your car with polarized glasses... they are tempered, the front windshield is laminated safety glass and is not tempered ;)

No reason to replace the top rim if it just coming off, just resilicone it to the tank ;)

Yeah, I'd also like to see some specs on that tank (glass thickness) as it should have a centerbrace of some sort. It looks (from the trim) like an old Oceanic tank, and it may have had a glass piece siliconed in that was a center brace that has been removed.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
not for nothing my tank was not manufactured with a center brace. look at the mold on the top was one cut from it?

my tank is a 150 72x28x18
Looking back at the pics you posted, I would be concerned about your tank as well. Sometimes tanks come with glass center brace instead of the molded plastic ones. A good cleanup job with a razorblade can remove any evidence that a glass centerbrace was ever installed.

Every standard rectangular tank that I can think of from 55g and up (4ft and longer) has a centerbrace if not two. Only some newer cubes or odd shapes would be the exception.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Looking back at the pics you posted, I would be concerned about your tank as well. Sometimes tanks come with glass center brace instead of the molded plastic ones. A good cleanup job with a razorblade can remove any evidence that a glass centerbrace was ever installed.

Every standard rectangular tank that I can think of from 55g and up (4ft and longer) has a centerbrace if not two. Only some newer cubes or odd shapes would be the exception.
Some of the older Oceanic tanks built with much thicker glass didn't have the center bracing of any sort. Tom has one that is drilled for a closed loop that doesn't have any bracing (as far as I can remember)

·
That's Absurd!!!
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m really not sure what I’m going to do with this tank just yet. I’m think of running a coast to coast but I’m open to any good ideas anyone may have. It doesn’t appear the glass is tempered so I can drill it. The only thing I really want to have is a 40-gallon sump and an AquaC EV 240 protein skimmer.

The dimension on this 110-gallon aquarium is 48 x 18 x 30 and it has 1/2-inch glass panels for the front and back. Off hand, I think the side panels are 3/8 of an inch. Do you guys think this frame has to be replaced since it doesn’t have a center brace? I’m think it may have to be replaced.<O:p</O:p

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Some tanks are design to work without a center brace.Look to see if there is a name on it and search their website.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts