The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried this experiment last night.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/baffles.htm

Looked great until I got water in it. :arg:

For some reason it just wouldn't hold water completely which I never expected it to.

BUT: Major failure came at two points, when the far right chamber filled most of the way it washed the baffle out bottom-first, then as the middle chamber filled it pushed my first 'over' baffle of the bubble trap into the 'under' baffle. As the right chamber filled it leaked worse and worse.

After much swearing I ended up placing them back in position and trying to brace them, still not much luck. It worked well enough as long as each section was filled evenly without too much delta between them. I'm using the sump for now but I guess I'll end up using silicone or something. I was really excited that it seemed to work before starting to leak, but that didn't last long.

couple of pics:

as you can see, trouble began almost immediately.



as it filled more it leaked more until the sides were almost equal. also, the bubble trap started leaking too.



I eventually got it installed by filling each baffle section equally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
that looks like it should have worked but i think i would have used silicone instid of that foam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that was kind of the point though with the foam; to be able to rearrange the baffles on a whim.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top