The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an idea just not sure how to make it happen. I'm currently running an auto top off 26 gal drum that feeds into my sump. I was wondering if I were to do heavy wet skim and had an auto top off to match and would also double as a continuous water change. Is this a foolish idea ? My concern was how to keep my salinity stable since the auto top off which would now be sw doesn't compensate for evaporation

· Registered
8,342 Posts
an idea just came to me!

okay so u have a 5gal bucket. you have 2 bags, much like the bladder bags. fill one with your saltwater with a tube ran to the sump, the other bag will have a tube for skimmate. set the skimmate bag on the saltwater bag, as the skimmate bag fills up it will push the water out of the saltwater bag into the sump! add a safety to stop the skimmer when skimmer bag is full and viola!

· Premium Member
27,090 Posts
I think even topping off with SW, things would get off. If you had a salinity monitor and could use a controller to top off SW or FW as needed, it could work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.