The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change my wet/dry into a refergium. I know everyone talks about bio balls being bad, but I've had them in my system for over a year and (so far) had no problems. If I remove the bio balls my wet dry makes a ton of noise and the wife don't like. I thought about putting plants in there to stop the noise but I would need a ton of seaweed or other plants. Is it possible to change the wet / dry into a referigum or should I try to figure out how to convert a 10 gal tank into one?? Plus my tank makes very little noise with the set up now and I would hate to change things and regret it later.:confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
you could add LR to that area, but you woudl need to have submerged.
when i changed over my trickle, it also had the plate on to that the wter would"drip" through.I had to take that off. Actually, I just slid it down. So the water would not drip onto it.
If you decide to remove your bio-balls, make sure that you remove a few or little at a time. removing too much it will shock the system .
Can you get a picture of your current system.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
yeah that looks very close to what mine did at the time.
under the white cover is a platform that the water drips through, also under the bio balls. so you will get a "splash sound" just gota remove the drip area so it is more of a direct flow to it.
hey is that a RIO pump you are using?
if so you might want to think about getting a better one. they dont have the greastest life. when it goes you dont really hear anythign until you feel the water on your feet..

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a rio pump and thanks I will replace it. Did you add LR to the sump or did you just leave it empty? And take all the stuff out of the sump including the sponge at the bottom. And How do you filter the water if you remove the floss?

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
hold on to the RIO for back up, or to make up saltwater for a water change. i like to use a 30 gallon trash can ( plastic) and use a power head to mix it over night. very easy and little if no mess
yes the sump is empty of everythign but.. a nylon bag of carbon and phosban.
i dont use any floss at all and let my skimmer and LR be my filters. i do run carbon all the time, changing every week and a half.
basicly it is just an increase of water volume for the system, i keep the heater and anything elsei dont want to see in it.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
after looking at your pictures again, if you really want a refuge, using it as an algae export area, best bet would be to use a 10 g allon tank, have a small pump in the sump area pump water in to , then have the new tak empty in to the sump near the return. if you are good at DIY it will be a nice low cost make, the baffles for the refuge can be glass or acrylic ( glass and silcone stick better to each other), using a bulkhead and some either tubing or PVC piping for the return to the sump..

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I have a 54 gal corner tank and stand. Not much room to play with. I need to upgrade my skimmer or try a DIY skimmer. mine is junk, the floss catches a lot of stuff the skimmer is missing. Plus if I remove the bio balls, floss and sponge slowly how will that change the balance of my tank? I have Phosguard now in the sump but no carbon. How much carbon should I use?

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
yeah i figured that when i looked at the way it was laided out..
as loong as you remove the bio balls slowly, say a hand ful or two once a week that wiull let the tank/LR catch up to anything it needs to.
as far as the carbon, you can get nylon bags at the LFS or use a pair of stocking for your gf/wife (just dont let them see you take then.) that will just lay in the open space once the balls are gone. you can put the heater in that area too as long as it is submerged all the time.
as far as the skimmer goes, check the DIY section. there are a lotof plans for them there. i like the "geoff" skimmer ..it can be made to just about any size.
if you search for "tims bigin tank" thread i belive on page 45 or so there is the pdf file for it so it can be downloaded. as if you look at any of his posts he hasd link to his webpage and you shoudl be able to get it there too.
the problem i see though is the room, a DIY skimmer is a lot of times an exteranal skimmer and needs an external pump.( although it can be away fromthe tank)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts