The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just have a general question about my wet dry.

I have a home made wet/dry. I say home made, but its actually an old refugium turned into a wet/dry. I have noticed i have almost an 8th of an inch maybe a little more of dirt, or fish poop or something, along with about a thousand little white feather dusters in my wet/dry. My nitrates and phosphates are almost always high, nitrates more so than phosphate, could it be form this buildup in the sump? Should I try to clean it out on my next water change? I perform a water change at least once a month, however i have already done two this month, but the red algae keeps advancing. Also i replaced my lights this month as well.

My tank
Approx 80# LR
No sand
Tons of soft corals
Clowns w/ Anenome, Juv Tailspot Butterfly, Sailfin Tang, Princess Parrot, pair cleaner shrimp,

Deep Blue 448 light w/ UV H2ology bulbs
2x Hydor Koralia 750 GPH PH
UV Sterilizer
Protein Skimmer

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!!

Your detritus Build up is the reason for your high levels, and your Cyano Bacteria.
I assume Cyano from your post.

Any time you have a build up, you are allowing things to decay and fill your system with Nutrient.

Yes clean it all.:D

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
For your system to work "better" you will need to clean your wet dry. When I had one I kept the bio balls in a mesh bag and pulled them out every water change. Dunked them over and over to get all the trapped gunk off them. I did this just about every WC. It was a pain. I pulled the wet dry and dumped all the water and gunk each time. What a process! I dropped the bio balls. Put a sock holder in and now I just suck the gunk out each WC.

My nutrient levels have never been lower. I've used a WD, a refugium and now just plain empty sump. Empty from here on out. Next the sand must go, but will need to find a home for my diamond head goby first. Don't know how to break that one to the Mrs...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there any way that i can better the filtration before it gets to there. As soon as the water gets to the sump, it goes through two layers of filter floss, then a poly filter, it seems like that much shouldn't get through. I guess i will start first by getting all the crap out of their and then just stay on top of it.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
How often are you cleaning the floss? It's vehicle is water and that flows in the path of least resistance.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Bio Balls, Filter Floss Pads and so on do not benafit your system.
They just trap organics to decay. These areas can not convert Nitrates.
Why do you think you need a Wet Dry system???

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OHBA
I clean my filter floss every week or two. I should start doing that more.

Treasures
I guess since my LFS doesn't recommend refugiums, and everyone else i have ever know that has had a saltwater aquarium has had a wet/dry so i really didnt put much thought into using a wet/dry.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I would suggest pulling the floss. It will just be a never ending trap for waste. The high flow over that trapped waste is a factory for nitrates. The waste that then slips past the floss ends up in the bio balls. It builds in the high oxygen chamber from the trickle where it removes the ammonia and nitrite, but not nitrate. More overloaded waste then falls to the bottom of the filter where "some" will be picked up by your skimmer, but most will settle to rot.

I was out of the hobby for about 12 yrs. my tank had a wet dry. When I started it back up I felt I was good to go. It wasn't til I mover to a reef system did I gain the understanding why the wet dry was not the most suitable application for filtering out waste. I moved to a refugium. I then discovered that it just was not a solution. It was compounding my problems and making them more complex. I moved to a plain sump. A place where the waste (detritus) would settle and be easily removed once a week. I clean my socks daily.

I am not telling you to remove the wet dry, but just giving you my experiences. I feel the sump allows for quick removal of waste and require a lot less maintenance.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm fairly new to salt water aquariums, i've had mine for about 18 months, now, and let some who "knew what he was doing" help me out with stuff, which i realized was a terrible idea, so i have been trying to straighten my tank out for the past 8 months or so, everything does well, but i have been feeling my filter system is kind of slacking. I do regular water changes and have a circulation pump blowing all the sediment out from behind my rocks so i can suck it out when i do the water change, but wasn't sure about the stuff in my sump. I'm thinking that if i keep up on it, that it should help a ton. If the sump itself wasnt so big i would pull it and put something different in, however i have a bow front tank so the doors on my stand arent big enough to take it out. I will take a pic of it tomorrow and see what you think i could do, because it is a POS filter system haha.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Didn't realize you we're in Boynton. I am just south of you. Right on the Boca line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts