The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been helping a friend shop for a new ride, we finally found the exact car he had been wanting (color, interior, features, setup, options, etc:

All I can say is: "WOW!"

I had gotten over the itch for a new M, now I am starting to think about it...

Attachments

·
Administrator
46,667 Posts
Watching an interesting show on NatGeo, tour of the Z4 plant in Spartanburg, quite an operation , I must say :)

Side note, the roundel does not represent the Red Baron's propellor, the blue/white comes from the Bavarian flag, according to BMW spokesman

·
Retired Wanderer
17,191 Posts
It certainly should have an adequate powerplant (though the new twin turbo is certainly reasonable if you lack M money).

Tom an E36 M3 is relatively modest by todays standards...you might want to try out my sons CSL modified M3 or something newer if you have money burning a whole in your pocket. :beer:

·
Registered
43 Posts
he should have gotten an Audi..... My mother had a 745iL and it fell apart at 55k miles....litterally. the car was babied and garaged its whole life. The front grill fell off, one of the valves leaked, the A/C broke, the seats started to come undone at the seams and plenty of other things....

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Weird my truck keeps going and I leave it outside:funny:

Its a nice car but 100% absolutely NOT ME;)

·
Retired Wanderer
17,191 Posts
he should have gotten an Audi..... My mother had a 745iL and it fell apart at 55k miles....litterally. the car was babied and garaged its whole life. The front grill fell off, one of the valves leaked, the A/C broke, the seats started to come undone at the seams and plenty of other things....

I have driven my 3 series like I stole it and lived with 14 feet of snow in the yard and it is a tank. My VW new beetle that shares a lot with the Audi A4 needed a tranny at 34,000 miles. The same water pump is used in six cylinder Bimmers since 1996 and costs only 70 bucks. Your driving experience may vary.

A proper car should however be able to be steered from either end.

·
Administrator
46,667 Posts
They mentioned 45K price for the Z4, when they offer the coupe in a clth seat and 1.6 TDI model rated at 60 for under 20K I will be all over it, ,but considering the loud flushing sound come from the Federal Reserve I am not holding my breath

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
They mentioned 45K price for the Z4, when they offer the coupe in a clth seat and 1.6 TDI model rated at 60 for under 20K I will be all over it, ,but considering the loud flushing sound come from the Federal Reserve I am not holding my breath
I'm kind of afraid to buy anything new that runs on gasoline right now, how do I know what depreciation is going to be in 5-7 years when I pay something off if gasoline increases as much as it has the previous 5-7 years?:bigeek:

·
Retired Wanderer
17,191 Posts
My Z3 with only 40K miles on it was only 14K. It takes a lot of looking, but there are some serious used car bargains out there...even on Bimmers.

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
Weird my truck keeps going and I leave it outside:funny:

Its a nice car but 100% absolutely NOT ME;)
I'd prefer to say
"I'm not mature enough for that"

·
Super Moderator
26,831 Posts
I've been helping a friend shop for a new ride, we finally found the exact car he had been wanting (color, interior, features, setup, options, etc:

All I can say is: "WOW!"

I had gotten over the itch for a new M, now I am starting to think about it...
What a beauty, Tom. Umm..you drove where to get that car, and came back at what time of the dark hours? :rolleyes:

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Yep Tom, as we talked about earlier in the week.. that is the one! I'm soooooo envious right now!!!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
7 series attract that kind of "I don't do anything to my car" type buyers, and as such, lots of stuff stays left undone until it is a crisis (check some of the Internet sites for the 7 series). This is true with a lot of the upper end cars, regardless of where they were made or by whom. If you take care of most cars, they will last well above the 150k mile mark, but this is especially true for the German marquees. The only reason I have changed cars in the past has been based on a collector's desire to own the 88 (heh, I employeed the Japanese "NO"), and I totalled the 90.

I have had three M cars, 237000 milies on an 88, 197000 on a 90, and 177000 on my current one (which, btw on this trip to Wilmington got 31 MPG driving between 70-75 MPH w/ ac on the entire way). I think that BMW has lost the pulse of the American market, BMW must still feel that "BIGGER IS BETTER" in the American mindset. I've driven the new E92 M3, and it is, indeed, a MONSTER. HOWEVER, check the EPA estimates for this vehicle. BMW has lost the concept of a light, well-powered, nimble, agile well-mannered M car, as the new one weighs in at 3700+ lbs (convertible is 4100+ lbs) with the monster V8, and you can feel all that weight in the corners (but with that 414 HP 4.0L engine, it really doesn't matter when steering with the throttle...) My biggest concern is that it gets around 15 MPG as reported by real owners in the UShttp://forums.roadfly.com/forums/bmw/bmw_m3_e90_e92/8906012-1.html I find it incredulous that in these days of dwindling gas availability and soaring gas prices that ANYONE would come out with such a car geared toward the market it is set for, whether it is based on "affording" gas or not. This is especially true when you consider all the tech that went into this car to make it LIGHT (see the link). I put comments I hear about this issue like: "If you can afford the car, then you can afford the gas" right up there with...
Senator Joe Biden said:
"I think it is your patriotic duty to pay a higher tax rate if you make more than $250,000 a year"
All you need to do is spend one afternoon looking for a gas station with 93 octane gas (or any gas as of late in the SouthEast) to make MPG a very important part of the formula to buy a new car.

My E36 with 3.2L S52 Euro setup makes 330 HP in a car that weighs 3150 lbs without taking anything out of the car. The E46 makes the same HP but weighs in at 3415 lbs and averages 22MPG on trips below 70 MPH. My E36 gets 30+ MPG on trips, is cheap to insure(well, relatively :rolleyes: ), property taxes are not too bad, and IT'S PAID FOR. Even though I occasionally get the itch for an E46 or the new E92 M-car, I think I will be rebuilding the engine, tranny, diff, etc. of the E36 before I buy the E92 or E93 M cars... I am even thinking of buying a VW Rabbit or a Cooper Mini that runs on CNG for a dailly driver and making the M a garage queen.

Look at this site for more stats on the M cars, some of it is not exactly right, but for the most part it describes the line well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M3

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Doug, you need to find a copy of the lateset Roundel, it has an article about that vehicle. Right now, BMW is enjoying their market position as a luxury car provider, is trying to capture a greater percentage of tht market, and has stated that at this time, the TDI vehicle "does not match with their current plans for the market in NA." uch a shame, the vehicle you've described is in much of the world now and gets 45 MPG (diesel) and has 6 second 0-60 times. It is based on the 123i and the British Automotive press thinks it is the car of the future.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,191 Posts
Tom I am happy as can be with our 28 mpg today touring seeing fall color in the Z3. With just 184 hp in 2800 lbs and a good close ratio gearbox there was plenty of power to pass five cars at a time if necessary.

The new 135i with the twin turbo was too much unusable power for us, and I will take going through the gears with everything matched up knowing that the motor can go 300,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts