The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ooh, what's this?
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title pretty much explains everything. Help!
They’re Aqualife LEDs and at least 8 ish years old. I had it on a timer and today, they wouldn’t turn on. Unplugged the lights from the timer and plugged them straight into the outlet. No dice.
Tried different outlets. Still no dice.
Looks like I’m now in the market for some new lights 😕 How long can Euphilia corals last without direct light?
I’m looking for something cheap(er), maybe $200 at most, but reliable, and strong enough to keep Euphilia and soft corals alive.
Any recommendations?

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,500 Posts
Oooooo, SORRY to hear that Mr., T.

I'll help if I can to relieve a little anxiousness from your head...,,.,.in nature a tropical storm, monsoon, hurricane, or yada, yada, yada, could throw a dark day scenario over a reef for a week.....they might not be thrilled about it, but won't kill them over night. Especially if you have any kind of window light lighting the room.

What size tank do you have,,,,too lazy to go look up your old threads?
Hack

·
Ooh, what's this?
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Hack! It’s been a while.

Thanks for the reassurances!
My tank is 65 gallons, 36L x 18W x 24H. Stocked mostly with Euphilia corals, in addition to a large leather, some GSP, mushrooms, and a couple other misc corals.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
You might want to check craigslist, or your local reef clubs/Facebook groups. Sometimes you can get a steal on a light!

Anything that uses pucks, like the Hydra 32 would require two to cover that width evenly, I know because I have a 36" Cube and I needed 4 of them. I would think that something like a black box light or ocean revive for ~200 would light the whole tank a little better since it's spread out more. The color rendition might not be as good as the more expensive lights, but for the cost they can't be beat, and they can grow anything. In fact be careful not to set them too high or mount them too low and light shock your coral.

Whiskey

·
Ooh, what's this?
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions!

I looked around locally for a decent light and wasn't impressed with the selection or the prices. Thankfully, we saved a T5 fixture that was on our 125 gallon, so I've got that running over my tank right now. It's a bit precarious but it'll work while I try to find a more suitable light.
I'm thinking I might switch over to T5s. My tank looks REALLY good under them, way better than it did under LEDs.
Choices, choices.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
T5's are a solid choice with a long history of proven performance, my last 75G tank used them exclusively for most of it's life, and I've had many tanks in the past where I've used them as well.

I think the T5's will provide better visual color with a more even coverage than the majority of the budget series LED, and when you consider bulb replacement VS the cost of the high end LED fixtures the price ends up being a wash over 5 years or so. Since you already have the fixture I say find a better way to mount it and run with it!

Whiskey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts