The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I got lots of questions. I have a 125 gallon tank ( had 100, but I busted it ) I just got it today. I added 7 bags of Fiji pink sand, 30 gallons of RO, 120 pounds of live rock, and 30 of my own mixed salt. See, before I ask I mixed it with Well water. Straight from the ground no additives. I thought it'd be fine because it's pure. Well, I made my first mistake by putting my salt and putting water on top of it. It is really cloudy after 4 hours, I heard this has will happen if I do put the salt in first. Here are my questions

Will it clear up?

If so, how long?

Will well water work to mix?

I mixed 5 gallons ( 2 1/2 cups of Salinity ) is that too much?

Recommendations?

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
I don't know where you live but I would never use well water at all in our area(even RO/DI) our area the ground water has so much copper in it that even two RO/DI units in series would get it out then there's Phosphate and many other minerals that's not good for a fish tank.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
I live in Georgia, Up in the mountains.
Hey, from Clemson but now in DC. While the Southern Apps have very good water compared to the rest of the country, we still need RODI. The Mountains, do have some heavier metals in the water which is a concern but on th easter side of the mt, like in Upstate SC, we have a LOT of phosphates. We lack some of the harder water (but your specific well might be different) elsewhere but the low Ca content of the soil gives us that organic phosphate issue. Thus you can use it, but you will battle a losing battle with algae that drives folks out of the hobby. If you have clay in the area, you will likely have silca issues as well.

The only upside, is that the RO/DI filters are not exhausted as quickly but we still need them. Also some well filtration systems add stuff into the water as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heres my most recent test results:

NO3 - 0PPM
NO2 - 0PPM
pH - 7.8
KH - 40PPM ( 2.24DKH )
GH - 180PPM ( 10.08DKH )
Gravity - 1.021
Salinity - 28PPT

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Phosphate? PO4? That is likely going to be the key. However, the really "nasty" thing about PO4 is that even concentrations that read as "zero" can still be high enough to gradually cause problems. What is the TDS (total dissolved solids) of the source well water.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phosphate? PO4? That is likely going to be the key. However, the really "nasty" thing about PO4 is that even concentrations that read as "zero" can still be high enough to gradually cause problems. What is the TDS (total dissolved solids) of the source well water.
I have no idea..

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Well water is rarely the answer. Yes it tastes good but that is due to the mineral content, much of which is not suitable for a reef. RO/DI gives you pure water and nothing else so you have a consistent baseline to start from.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts