The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have this odddd creature in my tank. I bought a dying piece of green monti to test my led's to see if the lights would bring it back to life...

I was suprised a few days later to see what looking like a Crown-less tubeworm with antenna popping in and out of it's tube.

It also would let out what looked like a web that catches particles in the water.

Any idea what it is?

·
$ The Poor Reefer $
581 Posts
Possibly a spaghetti or a hair worm?? Either way, if so they're harmless :)
PICTURES PLEASE! :D

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
vermitid snail would be my guess (spelling?) Two little antenae and they literally fish for particles in the water with their web. They send it out to the current and pull it back in to eat whatever they happened to catch. Pretty harmless, but can leave webbing all over corals, which is pretty annoying.

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
i've seen a spaghetti worm before, I mistook it for a "coral" for 1 year :( It looks like hairs with minds of their own.

Attachments

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Sounds like a vermetid snail to me as well. There are large varieties where the opening of the tube can be about 1/8 to 1/4" accross and much smaller ones where they are about as big around as a piece of speghetti noodle. Either way they can irritate corals and the smaller ones reproduce rapidly and can be a pain

1 - 8 of 8 Posts