The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone use either of these types on your returns ? i have see it done on acrylic tanks but not glass . i am thinking of putting a 4 foot one on a glass tank . pics if you got them ! acrylic or glass . and do you find it to be quite or the same as conventional lay-outs ?

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Geoff said:
have you looked at my build thread? i have a 6' one on my system.

G~
thanks geoff , i had to read thru 13 pages to get to it but i was good reading :thumbup: . i did see later on it gave you some flow problems so here is my plan , let me run it by ya . my plan is to have 4 1" bulkheads drilled about 3' down from the bottom of the trim piece , equally spaced out too accomidate the 4 foot long weir . i am hoping that with the 4 bulkheads that the noise will be reduced . anyways i plan on turning the bulkheads around so the external threads are in the tank . then making a acryilc mounting plate that will attach onto the bulkhead fittings with a second nut . so the bulkheads will remain as designed to avoid any leaks . then the 4 foot long surface skimmer can be built a one complete box that will attach to the backing plate . the back of the weir box will have keyways cut at each area where the bulkheads reside so when attached it will be able to be moved up or down a couple of inches to set the tank level . i wil have a nylon bolt and wing nut with the weir box slotted for them . my other alternative (which is not complex or very satisfying to build!) is to drill a 2" bulkhead and run it just like my exsisting boxes on my 75 . they are functional but boring :rolleyes: !

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i am guessing you really meant 3" below the trim and not 3'. :D

depending on when you stopped reading there are actually two mods i did to the coast to coast overflow. which one are you talking about? the first one was to increase the flow into the sump. the second was to keep the overflow silent.

you have to realize that with my system silence is top priority. all else is secondary. so i had to adapt on the fly. i am not saying that they way it was before was loud, it just was not silent. i really do mean silent. if you were to walk into our house you will not hear the tank at all! standing next to the tank you hear the computer 40' away on the other side of the room more.

if you do not mind the standard sound of an overflow than the way i had the coast to coast setup would be fine. i was actually thinking of doing the same thing you are saying, but decided it was not worth the trouble. if you use an elbow overflow connected to an outside durso standpipe you can controll the water level in the tank by changing the angle of the elbow.

how much flow do you want in your sump? having more holes for the overflow would help, but not sure it would be necessary. i think using the other holes for CLS's would make more sense. CLS's should be quiet if using the correct pump.

G~

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the idea is to have the four 1" drains end up joining to a 2" drain then to the sump .a coworker was a former plumber so we got into disscussions on flow and how to make it quite. the easiest way to reduce noise is to use the largest dia pipe possible . water always travels on the outside of a pipe (internally) never thru the center . so to keep the amount that goes into the returns i could do it a couple of different ways with the simplest being just use a 2" bulkhead fitting and two inch pipe , or use multiple pipes that would flow the same amount or more . right now the way my 75 is set-up the two 1" returns are more than adequate for the mak-4 pump , but this also means that i am pushing alot of water thru two pipes , which can be noisy . since i don't think i would like the looks of a 2" bulkhead fitting in the tank i opted to go with the four 1" bulkheads along the top . plus should one or two get plug for some stupid reason i know two can handle it , at which point it would get noisy so i would know there is a problem right away . i don't think the set-up is really as complex as you might think , alittle more time to build ? yeah , but thats the fun of it . i will be sure to keep you posted ! we'll see just how right a plumber is ! i just didn't want to use 90's as the level set , i just think they would be too noisy (though i know yours aren't ) , it just seems easier to me to set it sliding the surface skimmer up and down .

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh by the way i am not putting a c.l. on this tank , but i am having two additional 1" bulkhead drilled so i can do away with the return pipes going across the top of the tank . so i'm looking at six 1" bulkheads across the back , and that should be it ..

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
are you putting the CLS inlets in the coast to coast weir also? i did it in order to keep all things that suck behind a super big strainer, so that i will not damage any critters with all of the flow.

a simpler way to do your weir may be to just make a sliding front part and not the entire weir moving. you can use this with slots and simple nylon nuts and bolts.

G~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts