The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's been 3 weeks since setting up the main display tank (90G with 55G sump/refugium). Moved existing live rock and live sand from holding tank into MDT. It was kept alive along with 3 cucumbers. Water parameters have been perfect since set up.

Have been ghost feeding for 2 weeks. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate still all at 0. Calcium at 460. PH at 8.2. KH at 10. Inertebrates added almost 2 weeks ago (snails and crabs). All doing well. Macro algae also added then (red mangroves and Cheato). Ugly tank algae really on the decline and the tank is looking good!

Now my question. I've done a water change each week even though water parameters are great. Water is clear. Do I need to do a water change weekly, even when everything is looking good? Haven't added any fish or coral yet as I've been being patient to ensure the tank is ready. Bio load is obviously very small except for my ghost feeding every other day.

I don't want to do more work and spend more money than necessary, but also don't want things to go south and am happy to do the water changes proactively. What do you think, considering all of the information I've shared about this tank? Looking to add first fish next week. (still not sure which fish to start with...)

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Happy Holidays! I would recommend the weekly changes to continue especially if you are adding fish in a week. You can try changing the water once every two weeks but I think the volume changed should be increased. So if you are changing 10 gallons once a week then you would be doing 15-20 gallons every two weeks. So in the end you wouldn't be saving money necessarily but time. I would also recommend quarantining the new arrivals and using the water you change from the display tank to replace the water in your quarantine. Good luck with your new additions and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
If your parameters are all good I would forgo water changes until a week after you get your livestock in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jerry. That's kinda what I thought but wanted others opinions. I feel like I'm dumping perfectly fine water. When I do change, I will put it into my 2nd tank for future use as needed.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I would keep up the weekly water changes if you're adding fish next week. The tank is probably looking so good because you're being diligent with your maintenance and moving slowly. When you start adding livestock you'll be changing the bioload so things will need to balance out again with each addition. A good way to combat the Uglies is keeping up a good water change schedule. I usually do at least 10% a week for the first year and then drop things down to just as needed.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Also, if you're just removing water and replacing it, you are wasting it. You want to blow off the rocks and siphon the sand with each change to get anything the rocks are purging or that is settling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts