The Reef Tank banner

Websites for fish info

1K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  SaltPhan 
#1 ·
Hey folks. Been a while.

I know I should search but it's not working very well at the moment. I've tried, I really have.

What is a good website to look at for compatibility for fish? Corals? I've lost all my old links. Stupid cheap HDDs and my horrible backup practices. I've lost most of my old links and hate to wade through googles million links when I search.

I know I found most of that info here a year ago so hoping a few peeps will help out a lost soul.

#7 ·
The differences are notable. I think the reason why most hobbyists prefer and recommend liveaquaria is because they aren't conservative with their information regarding fish temperaments and tank sizing. This is in direct relation to Petco whom recommends a minimum tank size of 55 gallons for large tangs. Liveaquaria informs, PetCo sells.

#12 ·
I find a year to be recent - I didn't expect them to make changes immediately. If they did they'd lose all the customers that Live Aquaria earned with quality info, service and stock. There's certainly a reason most would rather order from LA instead of PetCo - I'm sure they wanted that chunk of change. I'd imagine if they decided to change things it'll be a slow process so regular customers may not notice immediately. Someone said they were going to save the tank size recs from LA and see if they started dropping in the future, I wonder if that will be the case...

Glad to hear your order with Blue Zoo went well, Paw!

#13 ·
I suppose with such a large company buying another fairly large company a year is recent, and changes will be slowly forthcoming. I've never bought from LA and BZ was my first online purchase. Packaging was great, temps were great, fish were lively. I have pictures up on my build thread for my 40g (that's actually a 30g lol)

#14 ·
I did just purchase some zoas from LA, and everything went smooth as can be. Packaging was great got the order the next day on a Saturday, the only day I'm home during the day. Nice and warm on the inside of the package too.

Only thing I didn't expect was the turkey wing calm on the piece of live rock the zoas were on.

1 order doesn't build a reputation but I'll buy from them again if I find something of interest on their site.

#15 ·
I did just purchase some zoas from LA, and everything went smooth as can be. Packaging was great got the order the next day on a Saturday, the only day I'm home during the day. Nice and warm on the inside of the package too.

Only thing I didn't expect was the turkey wing calm on the piece of live rock the zoas were on.

1 order doesn't build a reputation but I'll buy from them again if I find something of interest on their site.
Glad to hear it went well, SaltPhan. I haven't ordered from LA since the purchase, so was wondering if quality would change. My purchases from Drs Foster and Smith since the buyout are still up for debate though...

#21 ·
I've been leery about ordering online so far. But when I see something I've wanted since I put the tank together in my LFS for $69.99 and on line for $29.99 it gets me curious.

Granted I've done very little with my tank since my move back in April. My fish survived fine but something went wrong with the couple corals I had and only one has survived. I still don't know exactly what caused it.

I won't even mention the 2 chromis I killed with my own stupidity when I changed to a new tank 2 weeks ago. That was idiotic on my part and I still feel bad on that one. :peeved:

#26 ·
Here is the answer from Live Aquaria:

Response By Email (Sandra S.) (01/13/2016 02:51 PM)
Dear David,
Thank you for your email. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inaccurate information you were given. Unfortunately at this time we do not offer free shipping to any of our local stores. Well you may have your orders shipped to any address you choose, however, any orders under $175.00 will have a shipping cost of $29.99. If your order is $175.00 and up, the shipping would then be free. Thank you for choosing Drs. Foster & Smith LiveAquaria for your live aquatic needs. You are a valued customer and we look forward to hearing from you in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.