The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
Unfortunately one of my new clownfish is not doing particularly well. He has not eaten much, if at all, since I have gotten him. Today I have seen him on several occasions briefly rest on the bottom of the tank. His caudal fin has been split from day one, I regret not examining him more thoroughly before bringing him home. The LFS I got him from has a policy of no live-returns. I called them explaining the situation the very next morning after getting him, but they said it was likely caused during the drive home. ANYWAYS. So he is weak and tends to spit up every food I have offered him. I can set up a hospital tank tonight (hoping I get an answer first), but I don't know what kind of medical attention this would require. I have frozen brine and mysis shrimp, as well as spectrum pellets .5mm and 1mm. Should I get some frozen blood worms in attempt to put some fat into the little sucker?

Water parameters:
pH: 8.2
KH: 11dKH
Salinity: 1.025 SG
NH3: 0ppm
NO2-: 0ppm
NO3-: 0ppm
TEMP: 78F

Tank Specs:
JBJ 28 NanoCube
Nano Circulation pump
TUNZE 9200 protein skimmer
30lbs live rock
15lbs live sand
Hammer coral x2
Frogspawn
Mushrooms
Toadstools
Kenya Tree
Xenia

Inhabitants:
-5 blue legged hermit crabs
-3 red scarlet hermit crabs
-1 sharknose goby
-2 false percula clownfish

I should note, all other inhabitants are doing well and eating without any issues.

Thank you for any help and input you might be able to provide.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Did you add the fish to the tank with the established pair? More than likely there will be agression.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Like Helen said. Did you already have 2 clownfish and this makes number 3?

If that is the case, you need to remove him from the tank and give him back to the store or place him in another tank. You cannot have 3 clown fish in there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry maybe a little bit of a miscommunication. There are just 2 clownfish in the tank. They were purchased at the same time and added at the same time. They were purchased at nearly identical sizes, one just being a tiny bit larger.
I have observed zero aggression in the tank. Behavioural signs point to the smaller of the two submitting to the larger of the two. By submitting, I do not mean the larger is being aggressive. The smaller will go up to the female and shake on his side, then the female will swim off. This is usually when a pair actually pair up. So I am trying everything to get the male to eat to boost energy. Like I said, he only spits up his food and occasionally I will find him hovering just above the sand bed, like he is exhausted.
I did some more research and I will try to extract some garlic juice and soak the mysis shrimp and small pellets in it to help entice him to eat. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Would upping the temperature help?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Clowns can be weird - hovering above the sand isn't really that odd. Mine hovers vertically in a corner a lot. You don't want to stress him by moving him to an HT with no signs of an actual illness to treat. Just give him some time and keep trying a variety of foods. What foods have you tried thus far? My picky clown loves New Life Spectrum pellets and live blackworms.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will just be patient then. New saltwater fish owner problems, am I right ;)

Current food list:
-Frozen Mysis shrimp
-New Life Spectrum small fish formula .5mm
-New Life Spectrum THERA+A Regular Formula 1mm
-Frozen Brine Shrimp

I am considering picking up:
-Frozen bloodworms (to have on hand)
-Omega One Marine Flakes with Garlic

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
New reef parent paranoia, we've all been there. :) Keep an eye out for spots or a white film, otherwise I'd just let him settle in and try to keep stress low. Try frozen cyclops/cyclopeeze as well, it's popular with picky eaters.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
i would not buy anything with garlic. study has shown garlic to cause a bit of liver damage. i myself would not feed it on a regular basis but it has also been shown to help to get a fish that's not eating to eat, so i would use it in a worse case scenario.

with that being said its very normal for a new fishy to be skittish and not eat for a few days, but keep trying, they will come around :)

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
No problem! And +1 to Phane on the garlic - I keep some around in case of emergencies - such as a truly sick fish that's off his food and needs to keep his strength up to recover. I don't think your at that point yet, but it's always an option down the road. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Fish Whisperer
729 Posts
I have a male Maroon that I have never seen eat in 5 years. His girlfriend doesn't like to see him eating, so he doesn't do it where he can be seen. He hasn't ever grown any, but has always been healthy.

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
If any of those foods do not entice him to eat, you could also try LRS Reef Frenzy or like Chi mentioned, live blackworms.

(LRS Reef Frenzy Reef Builders this food was feed to (IIRC) the captive breeding large angelfishes... Another article, another day.

Paul B has also written articles on his usage of live blackworms. They're high in protein and the live factor is great for finicky eaters.

Stress is probably the biggest factor in play right now. He's been on a road trip, got a new girlfriend, and a new apartment all at once! Lol, the car ride was probably not the cause though and you should be skeptical of an LFS that is not considerate to their customers. Remember to ask them to feed their fish before you buy :) and it's probably in your DT's best interest to at least put new arrivals in an OT.

Keep an eye on the little booger. Clowns are usually hardy little piggies.

EDIT: How long did your dealer have him? How long have you had him? If it's only been a couple days with no eating, hang tight :) if longer (say 7 days?) he could have brooklynella. Parasitic ID Advanced Aquarist

I don't want to cause a mass panic or anything, more of a just in case. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
134 Posts
my clown somtimes lays on the sand. he is perfectly fine though. As someone else said clowns can do wierd things. Search clownfish in the search and read some other peoples storys about them. it may help you out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very grateful for everyones responses.

I have come across another factor to worry about. My little picky eater clown appears to have a small white fuzz near his caudal fin (which is split). I examined him even more closely and there appears to be a a similar spot just below his gills. So I am now worried that he has brooklynella. I have three fish in my DT, my pair of clowns and a sharknose goby. The larger (female) clown and the goby show zero signs of brook, eat like horses, appear very healthy. I can have a QT set up by the end of this evening (I stupidly regret not setting one up in the first place. Slap my wrists, I know. A dumb mistake that will likely bite me in the arse) but what I want to know is, do I put all 3 fish into the QT or just the one sick clown?
I have also phoned every LFS moderately near to me and none have a product with formaldehyde, or so they said. They did however carry SeaChem ParaGuard, which I have seen videos and read articles that state it does a great job at clearing up brook on clownfish. If I have to go that route, would you recommend me to treat my entire DT system (it states it does not kill your tanks built-up bacteria), treat the lone clown in the QT, or isolate the lone clown to the QT and give him dips in accordance with the bottles recommendation?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Can you post a pic? Fuzz around the injury could be a bacterial infection to the injury, which a medication for parasites wouldn't treat. Better to positively ID something first as treatment can be very stressful.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will try my very best to get a picture, though it is very small. Give me a few minutes.
In the meantime, would a freshwater dip help in either cases? I have RODI water on hand that I can put into a specimen cup and hang it in the DT to get the water temp the same, dip him for 10 minutes and then put him back into the tank.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Please note the caudal fin looked like this from day of purchase. It is the small white patch to the left that I am currently concerned about.

Hard to see, but underneath the gills, right on the outline of his body in this picture, you can see a whiter area. This is area #2 that appears like a fuzzy white patch.

Not focussing on anything in particular, just wanted to take a picture of his other side for any judgement.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts