The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need your help to protect a beautiful reef in Fiji!

And you can do it with a click of your mouse each day. Moreover, it will cost you nothing to sign up for the Waitabu Reef Protection drive.

CORAL's new fundraising partner, EarthAIDE, lets you support CORAL's effort to protect Waitabu Reef from overfishing and anchor damage, for free. All you have to do is subscribe to an email newsletter. When you receive the email, open it and click on the "Donate FREE" button. Our sponsor for this event, Care2.com, will make a contribution to CORAL for each click you make until this goal is funded.

You pay nothing, but Waitabu Reef gets the funding it needs.

Located on Fiji's Taveuni Island, Waitabu Marine Park is a vibrant reef set aside for the benefit of snorkel tourism and environmental education. CORAL is partnering with the Fiji Locally Managed Marine Area Network and Resort Support to set up boundary markers and mooring buoys that will protect the reef from fishing and anchor damage. Already a successful site of sustainable tourism, the project will ensure that the reef will continue to thrive.

To sign up for the Waitabu Reef Protection drive, please visit
http://www.earthaide.com

Coral Reef Alliance
http://www.coral.org

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
as much as i DESPISE being on mailing lists. (i get over 5,000 junk emails a day)

i do like the cause behind this..

just signed up.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i run adult based websites. so needless to say everyone and their brother in the adult indusry uses spiders and harvesters to scan adult sites for hte email addresses. i get over 5,000 emails a day, most of which are adult based.

which is really annoying. why would i want to join "their" site when i already have my own!

and once you are on a mailing list, yo uare on tons because everyone resells them. this is why your sponsor care2.com is making a donation to CORAL for lettting me receive their free newsletter.

they arent making money off sending me a free newsletter. they are making money off selling my email address (since it is a verified working email address) to hundreds of buyers. which in turn, means that by signing up for a free newsletter, you are now giving your email address to a minimum of 100 junk mail senders. and they will in turn sell their lists to other buyers. its a never ending cycle.

but this is for a good cause, and a few extra hundred emails a week really is going to hurt that much more :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
That's the beauty of junk mail filters... :)
I also have a 'bounce' feature in my e-mail client... so I can bounce the mail back to the sender without it sending back any notification that I've read it... usually it only takes a few times before their mailing list removes me as a 'dead' address.
Just gotta fight technology with more technology... :D
The nice thing in California is we also have anti-spam laws, so that if a spam doesn't begin with 'adv:' you can send the headers to the attorney general and they'll investigate it... makes for easy filtering.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hrm... I figured more people would've signed up for this by now... :(

It's going kinda slow so... after 4 days this is the stats so far

Days running: 4 days
Subscribers: 247
Donations Today: 58
Total Donations: 563 (4.59%)
Donations Needed: 12278

It'd be great if more people would sign up... at this rate it's going to take about 80 days to reach the goal.

Let's protect that reef! :)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Just signed in.

My Drive Performance
My Donations: 1
My Drive Score: >100
My Drive Impact: 263 square feet
Friends Subscribed: 0
Friends' Donations: 0

Drive Statistics
Days running: 4 days
Subscribers: 254
Donations Today: 112
Total Donations: 617 (5.03%)
Donations Needed: 12278

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sorry Piero,

I tried to sign up, but I kept getting an error message that the user Email already exsisted. It's trademarked with UPS and unique to my store, so I know no one else can have it. I tried though. It's a great cause.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a newbie - I've always been interested in reef aquariums and have just gotten up the guts to start my own. When I read this I thought - "Why wouldn't you sign up for this - even if you are not into reef aquarium?!?"

So I signed up and sent a notice to just about everyone I could think of - hope it helps!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.