The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Old Man in the Sea
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems a common theme among married male trt members is getting one's wife's permission to spend money on your reef tank. OR spending money without your wife killing you or leaving you. So here's what I want to know. Tell us your unique way of spending money and adding new things to your tank without getting caught! LOL

It's in good fun, that's all. :nuts:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Do you want the fish to die, well do you? This greatest new thing will help with their overall happiness and make make their color even more beautiful. Then my wife gives me the look!:rolleyes: An expression like, do it, cause it doesn't matter what I say your going to do it anyway, and I smile and give her a hug.

·
Old Man in the Sea
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you want the fish to die, well do you? This greatest new thing will help with their overall happiness and make make their color even more beautiful. Then my wife gives me the look!:rolleyes: An expression like, do it, cause it doesn't matter what I say your going to do it anyway, and I smile and give her a hug.
....and pay for it later when you least expect it??

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
LOL i after buy her something first before i can get something even though its me that works.
Yeah that worked for me in the past as well, I always try to get her somthing expensive too then get somthing you need thats about the same price or less even then she cant give you a hard time about the price, LOL, isnt it kinda crappy that we have to get creative on spending money so we dont "get in trouble", man thats not cool, I got a tip from a guy at work told me to claim 0 on my taxes then when you file then claim your wife and kids and you'll get alittle extra cuse you paid too much for the year, did see a small difference, Thanks waynotcars for starting this thread very awsome

·
Registered
332 Posts
Since my wife is the one that wanted the tank. I just say, "if you don't want to buy the stuff to do it right, then we need to just tear it down and sell it." :) Reverse psychology, works almost every time. ;)

·
Old Man in the Sea
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since my wife is the one that wanted the tank. I just say, "if you don't want to buy the stuff to do it right, then we need to just tear it down and sell it." :) Reverse psychology, works almost every time. ;)
Hope someday she doesn't agree with you! You'd be stumped then!

·
Old Man in the Sea
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When we're little boys we get in trouble with our mothers. When we are BIG boy reefers we get in trouble with our wives. We must love getting in trouble.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hope someday she doesn't agree with you! You'd be stumped then!
Nah, she knows how much $$ is tied up in it already so I don't see her taking a big loss anytime soon.

I think they seem to not like it is because us "boys" like lots of toys and usually they are expensive ones. For me it is: cars, motorcycles, car audio and guns. So, by complaining a little our wives curb our spending some. Otherwise we would have lots of cool toys but, would be eating bologna sammiches!!

·
Old Man in the Sea
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why is it they never have expensive hobbies? I think the kids are their hobbies if u ask me.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Why is it they never have expensive hobbies? I think the kids are their hobbies if u ask me.
I think "they" are their own hobby. Mine spends around 75.00/month on her hair, 35.00/2 weeks each on her fingernails and feet. Then there is makeup, clothes, purses and shoes.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
What, that thing?????? That's been in the tank forever.:silly:

·
Registered
211 Posts
This is too funny. I always have to justify to my HUSBAND and convince him something is needed. But I do pay for my tank habit out of my $$. He realizes I have a couple $1,000's of dollars invested into my 75g. So when I needed a PO4 reactor I said "well honey, I've already invested all of this money into the tank, would you want me to lose it all?" He agrees, but hesitantly. Same with my protein skimmer and other supplies. The best is when I come home with new corals. I don't "show" him. I just mention I got it and if he questions I say that it was was 1/2 off (not really) so how could I resist. Then there is the "cleaning crew", that I absolutely must have and keep adding on to. Or that something I got was from a "frag blowout sale". Or the guy at the LFS, gave it to me...I guess I am lucky that he's not really into the tank, except he likes the moonlights. Ha! I just bought a clam, he never noticed or questioned it. It's pretty obvious-bright purple and green. Maybe he thinks these things just appear out of the sand...

And I forgot to mention the generator I had to buy when we didn't have any power a week ago. I NEEDED it to keep my tank going...forget heat for our house, lights, or keeping the food fresh. Lol

·
Old Man in the Sea
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My wife HAS to see the new stuff in the tank but she doesn't mention it right away, she "banks" it for future use I think.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It was easier asking for a custom $4K+ guitar than it was for a reef tank that costs less than a quarter of that. Seriously! She doesn't see the guitar hobby as much as a money pit as reefing is. Ofcorse I've been playing guitar a lot longer than I have been reefing but still.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sometimes the rolls are reversed!!! I get killed with every new thing that I buy! I actually just picked up a really nice 29g biocube hardly ever used with new replacement bulbs and a powerhead and stand for less than $100 in great shape! No issues and everything runs I had him show me everything before I took it home...but I have to hide it or he will blow a blood vessel!!! I guess I can't say that I blame him since our house looks like an aquarium and to quote the late Joyce Wilkerson.."we have marine explosion decor"...lol every available floor space is taken..eekkk I have no idea how I will break the new one to him!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh and how I bring new stuff in well I buy it before he gets home and put it in the tank...and normally he never notices as he is not big into fish or corals..(my luck) and so its not too bad otherwise I do it like I do sneakers my other life passion is working out and weight trainning so I am forever replacing sneakers...so I keep them in the closet for a few months and then when he notices them I say "oh these old things I have had them forever"...doesn't work every time and I sure do catch hell..but seriously I have found that if I sit down and talk to him about it..(as he doesn't wish to be involved at ALL) and come up with a reasonable budget that I can spend on the fish and the reefs then hes good....for a minute!

1 - 20 of 135 Posts