The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure what they are but they sure do seem like shrimp.

Out of a fit of slight boredom and one of the other people in my office have Triops and someone else has sea monkeys and of course not wanting to be outdone, I set up one of my 1.5 gal Aquatic Garden tanks and put a couple of small pieces of live rock, a hermit crab and a bumblebee snail. As I turned on the light this morning, (Only 3 days old or so), Out of one the shells, turned purple with coralline algae a mist of sorts was shooting out one of the openings. I kinda couldn't figure it out but They look like hundreds of little bitty shrimp. I crushed up some pellet food but what a bad time to forget a bottle of phyto or zoo plankton. I guess that since the rock came from the main tank, and I have peppermint shrimp, maybe peppermint fry. Theya re small but jerky motions like squid or shrimp.

Ray

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
They could be mysids. I've got zillions of them in my system here. They are a great coral/fish food and given the right conditions they multiply like crazy!

Jenn

·
Registered
198 Posts
Jenn - define the right conditions, please.

Cheers...Michael :beer:

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dunno what they may be Michael. Like I said, I set up the ugf, put about 2 inches of aruba shell (I figured sand would clog the ugf), gave it a day, then added about 8 ounces of live rock from my display tank, with a feather duster attached and a bumblebee snail. I put in a hermit crab so I can have something moving and a piece of Macro Algae.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts