The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK all you experts out there -

I am looking at my wishlist and thinking of buying a wavemaker. At the moment, the setup in my 55gal is 3 PHs (2 MJ1200s and a hagen 210 I think) plus the return from the sump emptied via a SCWD and 2 loclines. My questions:

The cheap option: a red sea wavemaster (or something similar) that just cycles the PHs on and off (don't have enough money for the seio setup just yet)

The next most expensive option: the Tunze controller and tunelle (?sp) powerheads.

Tunze also make a Wavebox that I found on ebay. There is a similar product called the Wave2K - both of these seem to provide a similar idea - bulk flow from one end of the tank to the other, providing a proper 'wave' setup. Tunze is (of course) the more expensive of the 2.

Anyone have anythoughts? I really like the idea of the bulk water flow rather than the PH thin jets. More 'natural' for the environment somehow - and when the fish are being fed at least they won't be flung off to one side if they forget and swim into the PH slipstream (as happens now - good for a chuckle though!!)

cheers all

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
On my 50G softie tank I use 2 100GPH powerheads on one chanel of a red sea wave maker, and 1 maxijet 1200 on each of the other 2 channels.

I did all this simply because I had the equiptment to do it already, but I really like the way it turned out, and the soft coral seem plenty happy with it.

On my 125, I have 2 Tunze 6100's on a Multi controler, this is really sweet, and the SPS love it, but at almost a grand it sure is pricey.

Whiskey

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Go with the Tunze! While not cheap, You will never regret it! :)

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
These are cheep but they get the job done. JMO<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="50%">
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Maxi-Jet Natural Wavemaker System

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Natural Wave Timer</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Brent.

·
Registered
86 Posts
a long time ago i had a red sea wavemaker (3 channel). I had lots of problems with it. First one (under warranty) stopped switching on one channel. Took back to lfs and they gave me a new one. Same thing happened with it about 2 years later, but it was now out of warranty. That was when I upgraded to an aquacontroller.

this was much better, but there are still problems with x10 modules sticking, but if they do, it is only about $10 to replace. You can also have problems with PH making noise and breaking because of the hard starts. Some wavemakers talk about soft starts, but being an electical engineer, I don't find enough info from the vendor that would make me believe their claims are true.

That is why I went with an Oceanmotions CLS system. If I had the money, I would buy a couple of the Vortek magnetic pumps, but they are about $340 each. I have lots of good things about Tunze but never used.

·
11,345 Posts
Cant beat the OM units IMO. No ugly powerheads to look at and if you go with an 8-way you have random variable flow coming from 8 different directions in the tank. Dont kid yourself though, by the time you are done buying all of the parts necessary to plumb it into your system it ISNT cheaper than a Tunze set up with controller, and you have to plumb the system in.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only problem with the CLS system is the fact that I have a glass tank and don't want to a) drill until it's time for a change, or b) empty the tank....

I'm inclined to agree with the supporters of german technology - I just though the W2k system looked like a neat idea. Or I might DIY a wave bucket.. anyone have any plans they know of?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Sambo...I have been dying to go with the Wave 2k system...but I can't get anyone on here to endorse it. I'll tell ya what. I will sell you my 2 SEIO 1500's for $48 each (paid $68 ea in October) and then you can get the wavemaker to go with it. I'll buy the Wave 2k and try it out?!? What do you say?

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Sambo...I have been dying to go with the Wave 2k system...but I can't get anyone on here to endorse it. I'll tell ya what. I will sell you my 2 SEIO 1500's for $48 each (paid $68 ea in October) and then you can get the wavemaker to go with it. I'll buy the Wave 2k and try it out?!? What do you say?

There! ya! go!! good deal!
Brent.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Frank(+/- Maura) - will have to pass up until tax return time!! But if you do end up going for a wave2K in the meantime I'd love to hear what you think!! I found one on ebay for $200 (may have sold by now) that was slightly used but should be fine.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Sambo...I have seen a few on e-bay too, but I am not going to go that route. The Wave2k people have made several modifications in the past year or so that have made the units more reliable. I think they beefed up the belts and gears that drive the unit because they were having some issues with the belt slipping (I think).

So, I think if I did do it, I would want the latest and greatest (with most of the bugs worked out).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do the mj wave makers work with mj mods if they do that would be a cheep alt. and still get great flow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts