The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've also been researching on flow. My tank needs to rid the hot mags and i need to get 2 more powerheads. Currently I got 2 maxijet 1200s. What kind of wavemaker timer is best? All the reports from people online say things like the Red Sea wavemaster pro dies after 1 yr and the cheaper coralife power timers die after 6 mo. What does everyone here do to alternate the flow current in their tank? What have you found that works well?????
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,007 Posts
I have a Neptune AquaContoller 3. Does an AWESOME job, but pricey. Look for the ReefKeeper 2 if they ever decide to release it. Both of these controllers have "soft start" which is important when turning these pumps on and off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,938 Posts
I have the Wavemaster Pro with MaxiJet 1200s and it is still going strong after 2 years.

I seem to be in the minority, though.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
34,435 Posts
you can create patterns with just a couple of HD light timers. some of these are digital and you can switch them on and off as close to a minute apart. they generally are about $10 a piece. i used to use these all of the time untill i got my Aquacontroller.

G~
 

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
Joined
·
2,768 Posts
Another alternative is the Aquarium Sytems "Natural Wave timer" you can turn a dial which alternates powerheads from 20 seconds to 3 mins. I used to use it on my smaller system and really like it. I now use a Tunze kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,426 Posts
Geoff said:
you can create patterns with just a couple of HD light timers. some of these are digital and you can switch them on and off as close to a minute apart. they generally are about $10 a piece. i used to use these all of the time untill i got my Aquacontroller.

G~

LOL! i still use this method, they work great!
Brent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brent Cone said:
LOL! i still use this method, they work great!
Brent.
Anyone have a link to these (home depot, ebay, etc). I would like to try these out but am not exactly sure what the digital ones look like. I have my lights on timers right now, but they just turn off and on (can't see intervals really)..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,426 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brent Cone said:
Brent---

Thanks. I did that but most of them are sprinkler timers (don't think i can use those.....). I'm not sure if any of them would allow the to turn on and off every few minutes or not and alternate which ones do that. I suppose I need to go check them out at the store.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,426 Posts
ouccmich said:
Brent---

Thanks. I did that but most of them are sprinkler timers (don't think i can use those.....). I'm not sure if any of them would allow the to turn on and off every few minutes or not and alternate which ones do that. I suppose I need to go check them out at the store.....

Best bet is to go to the the store of your choice, and just look around to find the one that meet's your need's, i got mine at a True Value store that's no longer their, iv had them so long i cant even remember when i bought them
Brent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
My power heads run 24 hrs a day non stop, including the sea swirl.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top