The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Wave Point 4 x 54 t5ho light. On the cord it says do not plug into extension cord. Why is this? I want to plug it into a timer but am scared this is kind of the same thing. Also the outlet that I will plug the timer into is not GFI.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Welcome to TRT!Timer OK but you shouldn't plug anything thats with your tank not GFCI protected!You can buy a plug in GFCI adapter.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to TRT!Timer OK but you shouldn't plug anything thats with your tank not GFCI protected!You can buy a plug in GFCI adapter.
Everything else in my tank is plugged into a surge protector that is plugged into a GFI outlet. I put the timer for the light into another outlet nearby that is not GFI because the timer was to bulky to plug the surge protector and the timer into together.

I also have another thread, I would appreciate you looking at if you get a chance. Thanks by the way

I tried posting the link but TRT says I need 5 posts. the thread is under Reefing equipment/skimmers and filtration

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
You really need lights into GFCI!If it fell in and you have your hand in there or go to reach for it!ZAP!also you should ground your tank too!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The light has its own GFI on the cord. I think thats why it says not to plug into extension cord. Everything else is plugged into a surge protector. The surge protector is then plugged into a GFI outlet. Is this not grounded? How can I ground my tank?

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
The reasone because the place where it's pluged together could get wet and cause a fire or get zaped.You buy a grounging probe on line or at LFS.

·
Registered
66 Posts
hey do you like you wave point light. what corals you keep with it. i have a tank with a new wave point fixture and was wondering how you like it. my tanks 24 deep what do you think i could get away with keeping on the bottom

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey do you like you wave point light. what corals you keep with it. i have a tank with a new wave point fixture and was wondering how you like it. my tanks 24 deep what do you think i could get away with keeping on the bottom
I haven't added any corals yet, but the light looks good. My tank is 24 deep as well. I plan on adding some coral next week.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i have a acan lord on the bottom with only two heads and a half as a tester. been there a week so far and still has nice color. plus softies on the bottom. I have two bulb 24inch wave point fix with a coralife 30 inch fix. the wave point plows there coralife away with color. getting another 24inch 2 bulb wave point fix soon. this is cool cause i know the 4bulb one cant have dif time settings. what type of bulbs you have? the ones they have are pretty bright but im getting ati cause its a deep tank!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have a acan lord on the bottom with only two heads and a half as a tester. been there a week so far and still has nice color. plus softies on the bottom. I have two bulb 24inch wave point fix with a coralife 30 inch fix. the wave point plows there coralife away with color. getting another 24inch 2 bulb wave point fix soon. this is cool cause i know the 4bulb one cant have dif time settings. what type of bulbs you have? the ones they have are pretty bright but im getting ati cause its a deep tank!
Yeah, it does suck that I can't have different settings like for a moon light. I just have the bulbs it came with right now. 2 actnic and the 2 white. Do you know why the power cord says you cant plug it into anything else?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts