The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
warren ohio
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some advise on lighting for a 125 gallon tank. if i was to use pc flouresents how many watts per gallon do i need. i plan on just fish and some live rock and sand.? and can i keep some corals with just power compacts
thanks

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
For Fish Only With Lire Rock Normal Fluorescent lighting will be fine. Watts per gallon is kind of misleading since other factors affect the lighting like the depth of the tank. You could keep some low light corals if you upgrade to PC's

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
I agree, with PC's you could keep a variety of soft coral depending on howmany bulbs you use. With a tank of 48" long or more you may want to consider VHO. They are very versatile and in a pinch you could use a standard tube (like at Home Depot) and the ballast will overdrive it. With the PC you can only run the bulbs its designed for. Also you can get away with less bulbs using VHO.

Robert

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Bump this thread.... I could use some more info too! I need light in a 36" wide 26 gallon tank. I have 3 clowns, and a bunch of soft corals, a torch and a flower pot.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Jflip2002 said:
Bump this thread.... I could use some more info too! I need light in a 36" wide 26 gallon tank. I have 3 clowns, and a bunch of soft corals, a torch and a flower pot.
the depth of the tank is more important than the length of the tank. soft corals will be fine with just about any lighting above NO flourescents. the same with the torch. as for the flower pot, good luck. their survivability in our systems is very poor. i am assuming this is a Goniopora spp.

G~

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
The tank isnt very tall.... 18"? My flower pots have been doing well, relatively speaking. Its only about 60% of the size it was at the fish store, where it was under MH lighting, with tons of flow. It has tons of flow right now, but its on the bottom of my tank in the sand. I should probably get some of that putty stuff, and stick it higher.

Im probably going to go 130 or 190 in PC lighting pretty soon, within the next month, when everything dies off that shouldnt be there....

·
Registered
454 Posts
The rule of thumb is 2 watts per gallon

·
Registered
657 Posts
Well the rule of thumb is misleading to. you have to take into consideration the depth of the tank. The type of lighting, The par rating of the given lighting. Consider it this way say you have a 15 gal tank thats 16 inches deep 2 watts per gallon is only 30w but in a 55 also 16 inches deep 2 w per gallon is 110w so an animal sitting the same depth under water sitting under 30w or 110w would be a huge difference, Just my .o2

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
right now i have 820w over my 125g which is BB. when i had a DSB i had over 1100w of light over a 125g. i do plan on adding another 175w MH to it, but it is for better light despersion.

this will be an SPS/clam tank so high lighting in necessary.

for softies you can easily get away with 4w per gallon. for that depth tank you can use any form of light you want. if you go much deeper than MH's will start to be more of a necessity.

G~

·
Registered
40 Posts
This shows how misleading the watts per gallon is. I've always heard 3-5 watts per gallon. I like VHO's, ecspecially if you're retroing them under a canopy. I know Aqua Medic has some 72" T5HO Fixtures that would look great.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 100gal tank that is 21" down to the sand bed. I am currently running 2 Viper 150W Halide. I was curious in the expert opinion if this was enough lighting. I currently only have soft corals in my tank. Was not sure if this was enough lighting to start working on hard corals as my soft corals are still going but they are not growing too much. The tank is about 4 months old. :read:

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Its really dependent upon what you are intending to keep in the tank. Are you looking to keep SPS or Clams? Or just softies? LPS?

A few different variables here.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am keeping softies at the moment. I did have a clam in the sand bed and he was doing really well until I went on vacation. He did not survive me being gone. I didn't have someone who could come over enough to feed my corals. I have two elegance that I am nursing back to health also from vacation. :bawling:

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
For softies That lighting would be ok. But since you are trying to keep LPS and Clams, I would suggest a couple of different things. Upgrade to 250w's or upgrade the reflectors for the 150w (use the Viper ballasts) by getting Lumenmax3 150w pendants reflectors. You need to be a little handy to do the changeover though.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Watts per gallon should never be used and its a bad rule of thumb. Not all lighting is the same and different lighting will require different watts. Not all the things we keep require the same lighting nor is the depth or the size of the the same. Also corals use par not watts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm working up to a anemone tank, so I have two 250w MH and a Kessil 150w deep blue LED. Above a 60gal Breeder, So that's roughly 11watts a gal ._. lol over kill?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts