The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking of upgrading my main tank to a 90 or 120gal & having the tank drilled for a closed-loop? The way I figure it the closed-loop would provide over the 10 times turn over rate by it self? If I have the closed-loop for added water circulation, what would be the minimum required water flow to & from the sump? :rolleyes:

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Well that would depend on what sort of overflow(s) to the sump you are planning on using. If it's a hang on, some smaller ones flow 400-600 gph so you don't want to go much more then that or the overflow can't keep up. With a closed loop with 10X turnover, a large return pump is not that important IMO. I'd say something like 400-800 gph pump would be enough.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Need more tank information to answer this. What are you/do you plan to keep? Is this just a sump or a sump/refugium?

Just give a little background on your tank and inhabitants and I'm sure you'll get the help you want.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reedman:
Ok here is my Current tank set-up I also have some more pics in the photo gallery! As for the inhabitants I only have a yellow tang, bi-color angel and a clean-up crew for now! I plan to keep mainly soft corals for now!

RWD:
I plan to have the "Back" of the new tank drilled, similar to the tank that I have now so that it can be plumbed it into the current system! What I'm planing is two 1" bulkheads in the upper corners for the overflows. I'm still undecided on the closed-loop plumbing?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Doug, Nice setup. I like the rock work and open feel with the sand area.

If you are going mainly soft coral, I am not sure that you want a whole lot of flow. Might be better to concentrate on alternating flow patterns. That said, with a separate 'fuge, I suppose you could flow as much as you want.

If it were me, I would look into what type of flow the corals that you plan to keep are coming from. I would guage the flow in the tank to be similar to that (i.e. if they come from the back reef or the fore reef or turbulent waters, etc.). I wouldn't want to blast a coral that is used to a calm ebb and flow.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reedman

One of the reasons that I left the open sand area was, Because I plan to get some goby's & other sand sifters! I like watching them make there little caves & tunnels! Also after adding several corals & maybe an anemone? I feel that it will fill up quickly! That's why I'm thinking of upgrading to a larger tank now before I get everything set then want to try & upgrade after it gets overcrowded. I seen a tank set-up that had a grid system made from lighting grid (egg-crate) & pvc pipe that held some of the LR and coral up off the bottom allowing more water flow through the system. That's what got me thinking!! (I hate when that happens)!! of a closed-loop that would also tie into a grid system and would help hold up the LR & corals?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I could plumb a couple of THESE into the closed-loop for the alternating flow patterns?

here is a list of the type of corals I plan to start with?
Discosoma sp., Lobophytum sp., Sarcophyton sp., Capnella sp., Sinularia sp., Protopalythoa sp., Zoanthus sp., and Briareum sp.

Where can I find out more about if they come from the back reef or the fore reef or turbulent waters?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Great plan Doug. The SQUID thing is getting pretty good reviews so far. It's still too early for me to go try it & it can't handle the flow that I run in my tank anyway, but there are a lot of people who are using them and liking them.

As far as info on the corals, there is a book link on this sight that has some great book recommendations. Here's a few that I recommend:

1) Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman
2) The Reef Aquarium Volume 1 by
Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung

I'm sure the rest of the books on the book link are great, I just haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

Also, for what it's worth, I do searches on www.Google.com for the scientific names of corals (or fish) and the word "care" and usually find a lot of useful information on the web.

Good luck and congrats on the first success...studying up before you stock. You'll be happy you did. Your tank will be much better off for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.