The Reef Tank banner

Water top off amount!

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  LadyReefNeck 
#1 ·
I'm curious as to how much water should have to be topped off weekly for different size tanks.... does it depend on how much water agitation there is andthe type of equipment?

#2 ·
Yes, it dpends on a few things. Surface movement, air movement over the water humidity of the air. All play a part in the evap rate.
Are you oing to add manually or are you getting an ATO? ATO is the best option as it is reliable and steady, keeping your salinity stable. HTH

#3 ·
bare with me my spacebar is broken.... kinda =).... well its on my 55 gal... open top just the light sits on it and ceiling fan is never off... and room stays at about 75ish prettyhumid as well too.... no surface agitation..... only agitation really is at the T in the plumbing and fuge has no top to it either?

i havealready built a top for the tank just gotta stain it and it will be done =)

#10 ·
So many factors do play a roll in the amount of evaporation.

Just for your reference, here's our experience....

We had two 75g tanks in our bedroom. Both were open on top, only agitation was from returns and 3 powerheads in each tank, no fans on tanks or sumps and both tanks only had PC lighting. Our house is very warm (especially in the summer), the ceiling fan was always running in that room and there are two floor vents from the AC.

These two tanks evaporated on average about 1 gallon of water per day.

The 75g tank in the livingroom, (open top, MH lighting, fans on sump, ceiling fan overhead) evaporates approx. 2 gallons per day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.