The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<HR style="COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
I just moved this tank in and have some water questions. First off, here are the tests I did:
NO2 - 0
NH3 - 0
ph - 8.5ish
no3 - 20 did a 10gal water change and brought this down from 30
kH - 19drops off my chart I think around 330ppm
CA2 - 320

I am using Instant Ocean salt
What is an acceptable range for NO3?
kH seems really high, why and what will this do
I would like to raise the CA2 and picked up some Kalk how do you dose this

Thanks for the Help

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried my KH with an old tetratest and then two days ago I just bought the calcuim and another KH that is Aquarium pharmaceuticals API

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
If you have never used any addities only Instant Ocean your ALK shouldn't be any higher than 10dkh as that is what IO typically tests out at.

Do you suppliment your tank with anything other than the Salt. If so, please list them.

Any PH buffers/stabalizers ? These are known to cause KH to go out of balance from CA and will elevate KH way above normal levels as the primary means of raising PH ( which if your having PH issues is more likely becuase of CO2 levels ).

If that is still not the case, would need to first confirm your Alk reading against another test kit before taking any drastic measures.

To me, if you not having algae issues then NO3 is acceptable. I never test for them and really don't care what a test kit reads because they really aren't very accurate and even if it reads 0 that doesn't mean you don't have issues as likely getting consumed as quick as it is generated therefore giving you a false sense that things are okay.

Kalk, is a good method for maintaining both ALK/CA in correct proportions. However, kalk will NOT raise your levels. You need a calcuim additive to do this. Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium, Kent turbo calcium, or really any calcium chloride based supplement. Once your levels are back closer to ionic proportions then you can try Kalkwasser if you wish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts