The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I know if my water pumps are doing there job? I was considering getting two Maxijets 1000's!!! And where do I place them?

Another ? as far as the diatoms I had on my glass, I wiped it off with a clean towel(it was so unsightly)!!! Was that a good idea?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Determining the flow in a tank is really more art than science. If your tank is new, you'll probably get diatoms no matter how much flow you have until it has fully cycled. It's fine to wipe it away (not sure about using a towel--I blow it off glass, rocks, and sand witha turkey baster). A note, though--It will come back tomorrow and the next day and the next until it's good an ready to quit, so don't be disheartened--just make sure you're skimming efficeintly and getting flow and doing water changes and it will go away eventually...

As for determining whether you have enough flow, the answer about 95% of the time is simply, no, you don't! A few power heads could always help create some random movement, just don't point them directly at your corals and blast them. It'd be helpful to know more about your setup before making all the proclamations I just made, though...

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm guessing no sump. unless the power heads are at least seio 800's i'd say nope, not near enough flow.
But heck, i had about 2,300gph of flow in the 40 gallon Jessezm has listed now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts