The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just upgrade my tank and notice electrical shot, fell like num not sure if this is electical leak or my body have negative stactic that make me feel num when I touch the water. My pump is danner supreme aqua-Mag 18. Please help. I want to make sure I don't want to leave it too long and all my live stock will die away. Pleas help urgent.

Thanks,
Dung

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,014 Posts
Hey Dung! Try unplugging the pump and seeing if you get shocked yet.
Hack

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
If you are getting shocked you definitely need to identify and replace the defective equipment. You can do this by unplugging each piece of equipment one at a time until you find the source.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Dung! Try unplugging the pump and seeing if you get shocked yet.
Hack
I try to unplug the pump and test on the other bucket of water and there is no shot, look fine. My pump in the sump in basement and pump up to ground floor plus stand and tank. Also, I test to pump to other tank with low head and look fine. The only time get shot when I pump up to ground floor and wait for a white than get some shot when I touch the water. I have 2 pump and same issue. Funny, when I touch some metal and than touch water look fine and later when I come back I test it again get shot. Something weir here? Any other advise?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are getting shocked you definitely need to identify and replace the defective equipment. You can do this by unplugging each piece of equipment one at a time until you find the source.
See my response to Hack above. When I run everything in basement sump and pump to other tank in same level every thing look fine. The only time I get shock when I pump to ground. I have 2 pumps and they have same issue so not sure if this is the pump issue. Any other advise? Not sure if there is any issue with static?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Do you have any other electrical equipment in the tank, or is it all in the sump?
I don't think that water flowing though the plastic pipe would create static.
Many people run remote sumps in the basement and don't have this problem.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any other electrical equipment in the tank, or is it all in the sump?
I don't think that water flowing though the plastic pipe would create static.
Many people run remote sumps in the basement and don't have this problem.
Yes, I have heater, skimmers, pump, GFO reactor, all equipment inside the sump. I think I found out an issue. I research online and and found out that my tank may have induced voltage that add up from the equipment. I may need to buy ground probe to fix this issue. I hope in the meantime this doesn't affect my livestock. I am waiting for my order to arrive.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Cut down on not entirely necessary equipment. A heater is most likely not needed. You may be able to do without the GFO also short term.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,665 Posts
You can get it from the magnetic effect of the motor and builds up in the tank. If you have a digital multi meter put it on the lowest setting and put one lead in the water and the other lead to a ground on the outlet and see if you show stray voltage. If you do, then grounding your tank will get rid of it,but if you get a lot of voltage then bad pump.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,755 Posts
See my response to Hack above. When I run everything in basement sump and pump to other tank in same level every thing look fine. The only time I get shock when I pump to ground. I have 2 pumps and they have same issue so not sure if this is the pump issue. Any other advise? Not sure if there is any issue with static?
So if you have it running normally it's just fine, but if you pump into a different tank you get zapped?

Maybe it's not the pump but something in the other tank? The stream of water in the pipe will create conductivity so if you have stray electricity in that tank and you pump water into it you could bring that stray electricity to the container you are pumping from.

Whiskey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts