The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning. I just got a new reef test kid and did a water test.
dkh-9, calcium 380, phosphate .25, nitrite and nitrate 0, ph 7.4, sg1.025, and temp 76 degrees. I know calc and ph are low, for some reason ph has always been low. On St. Patricks day the 10 gallon nano will be 2 months old, it has no filter just rock, and sand, a koralia nano, and an empty hang on refugium for the skimmer and heater. I use instant ocean salt. My question is there is no coraline growth on anything. Is this due to poor water quality? I'm fairly new at this but the test didnt seem bad to me. Thanks for any help..

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
there does have to be a source of coralline, if there is none on your rocks then youll probably need to buy a small piece that does have some.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats not gonna happen at my lfs. im not even sure its live rock they sell it looks like wet base rock.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I suggest putting some chaeto in the tank. THe low pH problem will improve, since the chaeto will reduce the carbon dioxide (which is forming carbonic acid to lower your pH) and put more oxygen in the tank. The chaeto will also absorb some of the phosphates out of the water. This one-time purchase can work on both of these problems.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They didnt have chaeto at my lfs at the moment but they did however give me a bunch of coraline flakes out of their show tank so im very excited to see if it takes off

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
hmm, does anyone think that purpleup will work? Thats what my lfs gave me...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
hmm, does anyone think that purpleup will work? Thats what my lfs gave me...
ive never used it, but im sure all it is is similiar to a calcium additive and other elements. i would just recomend water changes and time and maintain a pretty stable alk and ca relation and it will take off over time, if you have some present already that is.

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
purpleup supposedly says that it improves strontium and iodine levels. Does Coraline algae really need these additives?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Those trace elements are replenished in good salt mix so I would not dose them, plus if you don't have the tests that's another reason I would t

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
OK What is cheato?
chaeto short for chaetomorpha is a macroalgae that is supposed to be put in the sump section of you aquarium. Its really good for "removing" nitrates.

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
hmm, don't all algae need light? :|

1 - 15 of 15 Posts