The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i was away for the weekend, something happened where the regulation of the water in the sum to tank caused an increase in the tanks water level and almost overflowed it. Whats causing this to happen. I solved it by turning down the flow of the return pump in the sump but never had to do this before!

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
I have to clean my overlows frequently for coralline algae, it will block the flow through the teeth. This will cause my water level to raise and touch the center brace. In fact I just scraped the inside of the teeth last night and my tank level dropped where it was supposed to be.

Otherwise check the overflows plumbing to the sump, Your problem is the overflow isn't handling as much flow as it should right now.....

HTH.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
The water level should hide behind the plastic rim of the tank, but not be higher than the lip to hold glass tops. That is the safe range.

Your tank is RR?? and what brand? Maybe someone else w/ the exact tank might have some pointers or experiences with the same. HTH or BTT

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My water level is about 1 1/2 cm/s below the 1 1/4 inch plastic rim. Safe?
Its a 29 gallon perfecto. Any other suggestions cause i have no coralling algae yet and the teeth are clear of debris. v

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ReelFreak said:
The water level should hide behind the plastic rim of the tank, but not be higher than the lip to hold glass tops. That is the safe range.

Your tank is RR?? and what brand? Maybe someone else w/ the exact tank might have some pointers or experiences with the same. HTH or BTT
whats rr, hth, and btt

·
Administrator
46,845 Posts
RR is reef ready( ie drilled and overflow installed
HTH is hope this helps

not sure on BTT

Are you using a hangon overflow box setup, the water should be about at the level of the plastic trim, what pump are you using for your return?
Have you checked the overflow for any subtle obstructions?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doug1 said:
RR is reef ready( ie drilled and overflow installed
HTH is hope this helps

not sure on BTT

Are you using a hangon overflow box setup, the water should be about at the level of the plastic trim, what pump are you using for your return?
Have you checked the overflow for any subtle obstructions?
its not rr. Its a hang on overflow. Return is rio 1700 + . Tank is 29 high

·
Administrator
46,845 Posts
zxcv123 said:
its not rr. Its a hang on overflow. Return is rio 1700 + . Tank is 29 high

Do you know what breand over flow and what the output of that pump is at the head height you have your tank at in relation to the sump?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
check the over flow tube, the drain and anything else you can check, if anything has any kind of blockage. it will slow your over flow, if your pushing that much water so a little blockage will overflow, you should turn your pump down just a touch anyway.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
leveldrummer said:
check the over flow tube, the drain and anything else you can check, if anything has any kind of blockage. it will slow your over flow...
Think snails...

especially turbos, or occasionally a dead snail shell.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
zxcv123 said:
I think i got it guys- there is a bigg *** air loch in the u tbe
ya folks that was it. this mean air bubble about 1 1/4 inches in diameter was in the sihpoon u tube (which sucks water from the overflow to the prefilter. ) I sucked it out with some airline tbing and viola- water level dropped. I also clean the ovetrflow teth while i was at it. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
check that all the time, my over flow develops a bubble in the u-tube also, there are ways to fix, im gonna try to up the flow, when i top off, it usually pushes the bubble through with the increased volume. so im hoping. but check it, it can happen regularly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts