The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gray Whale
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever experienced their SCWD "hammering" when it switches?

The hammer effect is not constant, it happens during intervals, and oddly enough it doesn't always match the switch, sometimes it occurs during the middle of flows... Sometimes it's real faint, and other times it can be rather annoying... Does anyone know what could be causing this? (lol sounds like a riddle)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Soak it in vinegar then check to make sure there is not any sand or debris in the gears causing it to catch. They are really sensitive to the slightest bit of crud in the gears making it try to skip or hang momentarily. I have a 330 lb DSB of southdown sand in my reef so I gave up on the SCWD and bought a Oceans Motions Squirt instead.

·
Gray Whale
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Soak it in vinegar then check to make sure there is not any sand or debris in the gears causing it to catch. They are really sensitive to the slightest bit of crud in the gears making it try to skip or hang momentarily. I have a 330 lb DSB of southdown sand in my reef so I gave up on the SCWD and bought a Oceans Motions Squirt instead.
Sweet! I've been wondering if there were any type solenoid valve to switch flow! I love these things! They have been pretty reliable?

Have to sweet talk the girlfriend now. ;)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I've had the OM Squirt 6 years now and I bought it used. I replaced the drum about ayear ago so I would say its extremely reliable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts