The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking (yes, dangerous thing to do)... If a reef is basically water going back and forth with the turbulance being produced by the reef inhabitants (rock and corals) then why not make it so that the water in the tank goes one way then another? What I mean is, put a powerhead on the bottom of the tank pointed a little upwards, one on each side of the tank... Then have the powerheads timed so that one powerhead flows for maybe 5-10 minutes then shuts off and the other one gets turned on for 5-10 minutes... Wouldn't that create a wave like motion with turbulance, esp when the water first starts to flow the opposite direction?

I've been watching the flow in my nano now that I've got a Mag3 in there... It flows pretty laminar until it hits something and then the flow is redirected... But it only goes one way... So I was thinking that if I were to do the same thing but on opposite sides of the tank and at different times it may create a back and forth wave like pattern without the actual wave going across the top of the tank... And, as I said, when one pump is turned off and the other turned on the water should get pretty turbulant as it starts to flow the opposite direction...

Has anyone done that? Does it sound like a good idea?

Babs

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, if I were to do that, what type of pump does not have problems getting turned on and off at intervals?

Babs

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
LOL! That is a very good description of a "WAVEMAKER"!

Wavemaster Pro will do that with up to 4 powerheads. Many other brands as well (I use one called CurrentSea).

The powerhead that seems to handle off and on the best is the Maxi-Jets. All sizes.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I had 2 maxijets running like this in my last tank, and as soon as I figure out how to get the wire from the MJ1200 to reach the wave unit on my new tank, I am going to hook it back up.
Extension cord?

Simulating wave motion is very common

The use of wave boxes can accomplish this as well.

Can also use Oceans Motions to create an alternating wave motion. Some of the better stream style powerheads like Tunze's have controllers that can do wave patterns.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Babs - you're absolutely correct. Corals are naturally found in random currents and, for the most part, do not like laminar flow for a long time. Definitely try to get some good random water movement in your tank.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
There are many of them They vary in price. As I said, I use the CurrentSea, Then there is the Red Sea Wavemaster, Seio makes one for their powerheads. Coralife makes one that is a Timer/wavemaker all-in-one. There is yet another that looks just like a cheap power strip but 3 plugs alternate power as a wavemaker.

Those are just the simple/powerhead types.

Then you have the Wavy Sea Wavemakers, The Wave2K and even Tunze makes a high end wave device. All depends on your wallet.

The top list start at $29.99 and go up. The second list start around $100 and go up. :)

·
Banned
1,382 Posts
Extension cord?

Simulating wave motion is very common

The use of wave boxes can accomplish this as well.

Can also use Oceans Motions to create an alternating wave motion. Some of the better stream style powerheads like Tunze's have controllers that can do wave patterns.
I am against extension cords, I just dont like them and will only use them when I have to. If I cannot find another way, then I will use one.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just to be a pain. sea fans like laminar flow. :D

G~
Do they like it so that their "body" is sideways to the current?

Babs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts