The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should the flow be in a sump with LR and a skimmer.
LR to skimmer to tank or skimmer to LR to tank.
I am wanting to add water volume to a 36 gal bow front, I only have about 20lb LR no room for more unless I want to just have a tank of rock. I also would be adding a skimmer and space is limited to 12x13x25.
What other option do I have? my goal is to provide the best environment for the fishes.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Flow through the sump is best kept at or just under the water handling capacity (the GPH processed, not the rating of how big a tank it will skim) of the skimmer you choose. Keep in mind, adding live rock in the sump will allow spots for detritus to collect and create more need for cleaning. Good rock in the main tank along with good flow and a quality skimmer will do just fine and provide a very healthy tank. You dont need to fill the sump with rock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, So 20lbs of LR is enought for a 36 gal? I was just going be want I read on this site, one pound for every gal.. I think I will still go with a small sump for the skimmer. I have a HOB now but like the ideal of every thing hidden.
Nice very nice set-up I hope to have something like that some day, just cutting my teeth on this 36gal.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
The sump is a great idea for sure. Just not needed to put extra in the sump. If you have you flow in the main tank set up so it keeps stuff from settling on the bottom then you should be fine. Keep in mind that you will be limited in how many fish you keep. Am I understanding that the 0lbs is one piece? If so maybe consider trading for equal wight of smaller pieces.This will give you more surface area for beneficial bacteria bacteria and more options for aquascaping and even allow for better flow in and around the rock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My apoligges not sure were you got 0lbs,and sorry this is so long.. I have 13 pcs of rock weight range 5.6 to 1.5 pounds. The rock goes from one side to the other side of tank, stacked two high, thats about 1/2 way up the tank, If I must say so myself it looks pretty cool. However I will give up looks if need be. All of the rock is very pourse and the way I have it stacked the top rock does not rest complete on the one below it.. lot of little openings, I have two koralia one upper right fornt conner pointed at front of rock the other in back pointed at rear of rock. I also crisscross them every few days.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I think he is saying you don't need the extra live rock in the sump. It makes it harder to clean and becomes a trap for the same stuff you want removed from your system.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
20 lbs should be plenty in a 36 gl tank, particularly if it is porous rock, which it sounds like it is. When you get enough posts we will be looking for a picture, sounds like you are off to a good start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts