The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this site doing research for my 29 gallon FW tank that I am converting into SW and I have to say there is tons of info and I have really learned a lot in a short period of time.

I recently added live sand into the tank and it has already been 2 days and the water is still very cloudy, about how long can I expect this?

You can't tell but there is a 250gph powerhead in there along with the emperor 400 running to clear it up.

Specs are 1.024 SG, temp is 78.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually removed the pad completely and only using the carbon cartrige. Should I try using the pad for a while?

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Turn off the powerhead, you prob dont have any fish inside so no worries on that. Let it settle just running the filter. This is what happens when you add Live Sand to an aquarium. Next time you van dump the sand in with a pvc pipe BUT live sand will almost always do this. Its the particulates in it that are being stirred up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for replies, I will kill the powerhead till all is settled. I guess I should look into a skimmer, I just figured between the 400 and LR it would be enough for such a small tank.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
there is nothing really you can do but wait it out. there is nothing wrong with the sand like that. it just takes time for the bacteria to colonize the sand and make it heavier. running a filter pad that is cleaned daily will help in getting most of the ultra fines out of the way. letting the LR do its thing will speed the process up more then anything you can actively do.

G~

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good to hear, waking up this morning the tank already looks way clearer by turning off the powerhead and removing the carbon cartridges. I cleaned the pads before heading off to work, hopefully it will be even better when I return home later.

·
Registered
63 Posts
put the whole bag of sand in the bottom of the tank, slice the edge with a razor (under water), and ever so gingerly pull the bag out from around the sand, if done correctly there will be hardly any clouding.

too late for you, but it may help someone else.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts