The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a new 55 gallon reef tank. currently i just have two pieces of live rock in the tank getting things going. i have two powerheads one is 400 gph and one is 800gph. will this be enough movement in the tank for a healthy reef or do i need another powerhead. how much current is to much? the corals should all be flowing and moving with the water correct?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think u should get a mp20 because those pumps let off heat in the tank. For the winter it's ok but the summer it's no good , ever since I got my vortech I noticed way better flow and temp went down in my tank. I used to have 2 620 seio pumps and now with 1 pump It does both there job and more. But since u have little live rock I guess ur fine

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Welcome. Depends on what you hope to house in the tank. Depending on the size of the rock you may need more rock too. Two large porous pieces in the 35 Lb range may be enough two non-porous two pound pieces is not. I have a predominately SPS 75G with around 3-4000G of flow. Remember flow does not only make the polyps move, it keeps waste from settling on the rock, bottom or corals. The movement allows your filtration to have the opportunity to remove it, and removing it is critical.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the two pieces of live rock i have are both about 5 lbs. i have another 50 lbs of dry rock comming that will eventually become live rock after sitting in my tank. i plan to have lps corals and maybe a few sps and see how they do. so it certainly wont hurt if i get another 800 gph powerhead to have a total of 2,000 gph of movement in my tank? i just dont want to much current to stress the corals or fish....or would it be difficult to have TO much current due to the fact that reef fish/corals are used to strong currents in the sea.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If you arrange the power heads correctly you can have quite a bit of flow before its a problem. I don't think what you have planned is to much. I always try to keep my flow pattern in a circular motion, to keep detritus from settling. And make sure you don't push the water away from the overflow if you have 1. Try to make it so the power heads point towards the overflow some how.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Most typical powerheads have very direct/laminar flow...the "propeller" type powerheads (Koralia are the most common) have much wider flow patterns and when pointed at each other can create more random flow..."bouncing" the flow off the glass with a regular powerhead can help make the flow less laminar...I think you're probably all right for now...but done the road you may want to add some more flow with the additional rockwork...In the past I've put a small Koralia hidden behind rocks to get more flow across the back of tank and help with dead spots.

·
Registered
512 Posts
im running a little over 9000gph in my 90g and i still have a few dead spots. as long as you arent directly blasting your corals you can have a lot of flow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts