The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure all of us have read that Aragonite based sand helps to buffer the ph in our tanks. I've also read in several places that while Aragonite can/will disolve and raise the ph, the waters ph would actually need to be well under 7 to see any results. At which point most if not all of our little reef citizens would be dead. Which is true? Would one of you chemistry peeps like to share some knowledge on the subject? Is the need for aragonite based sand over stated and just another ploy to get us to open the wallet?

Lets try to keep this to Aragonite based sand. We can start a new thread regarding silica based sand if the need arises.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
yes, it is a bunch of hype. :D

the pH does get that low, but only in the lower reaches of the SB. hence the reason for a true DSB. the problem is that it does not get up to the upper layers to do any good for the system.

i think this is covered in the super DSB thread in The Think Tank. one of the best threads you will ever read anywhere. a word of warning. you have to weed through the posts about food every now and then. :D

TRT- a cooking forum with a reefing problem. :D

G~

1 - 3 of 3 Posts