The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i am new to the saltwater scene and i have no clue what to test water for or what to add to the water. can anyone suggest any website or help give me a crash course in chemistry. I plan on keeping a reef tank with assorted corals and fish (undecided as to exactly what just yet). I would just like some input on where to go. suggestions for a test kit? so far from what i have read calcium, ph, iodine,strontium, are among the top to keep an eye on?? i have read about kalkwasser dosing, and some two part additives...as a newbie i am lost. from my understanding you actually replenish most of the trace elements if you do periodic water changes and use a good salt mix??? i think it would be absurd to order a five gallon bucket of salt offline and i have no sw lfs, limiting me to petsmart..they have instant ocean and red sea coral pro salt. are these good salts? which should i choose?

Glenn

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Iodine and Strontium should get taken care of themselves with water changes.
For a reef tank, Nitrates, Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium would have to be the top 4. Don't does or add anything unless you know you have a need to, not because you think you might need to. The salt you can get at Petsmart is fine for a reef tank. Different people have different opinions on which brand to use but both of those are fine. The only major issue with IO is that its low on Calcium and whether calcium is important depends on what you have in the tank (SPS vs Softies). Does the petsmart near you carry Reef Crystals? It is made by Instant Ocean.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the petsmart near you carry Reef Crystals? It is made by Instant Ocean.
im not sure..ill have to check next time im in there. is it the better choice? also im leaniing more towards either lps or sps. i read not to mix soft with the others because they emit toxins that inhibit the growth of the hard corals.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
The softies and SPS will engage in chemical warfare and try to kill each other. You can try SPS first if you want, but, being new to the hobby, I would encourage you to start with softies. They are more forgiving of mistakes and will let you learn the hobby with something more forgiving. Then, you can move into the SPS/LPS side of the hobby.

OK, my opinion of SPS tanks and softie tanks is biased, I just don't get the same enjoyment out of watching sticks in the water as I do watching zooanthids and Xenia in the water.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just don't get the same enjoyment out of watching sticks in the water as I do watching zooanthids and Xenia in the water.
:rotflmao:thanks now that you put it that way...:funny:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts