The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good or Bad???

I know that overall they are good, but it seems like when you do one it stirs up the bad stuff that is on the bottom and causes your tank to go bad. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've lost a lot of fish over the years a few days after doing a water change.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Water changes are almost a must. You just have to try to suck out as much bad stuff as possible without getting the water nasty. You've also gotta use good water (ro\di) when you do a water change. Most tap water has to many bad chemicals and nutrients in it.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Definitally, Water changes are important. It is also important to try and match your incoming water with the water already in the tank, and to use high quality water for your changes.

You must also mix the salt for 24 hours before the change, newly mixed salt can be caustic, and cause deaths.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
zxcv123 said:
Occasional SSB cleaning
Why only occasional? I clean mine weekly and you wouldn't believe the crap that comes out of my SSB weekly and i dont feed that much for it to settle into the sand.:nuts: :nuts:

The key to a water change is to make sure your water change water pH, Alk, CA, and temp are the same if not darn near it. Cleaning a SSB weekly will keep pristine water conditions. When taking water out of your tank this can be done quickly with the siphon line. When adding the water back into the tank this is the part that takes the most time IMO. The slower you add the water back into the tank the less of a shock your corals and fish will have. When i am doing water changes i know some of my corals are exposed to air for a period of time. I take my turkey baster and squirt them down while my tank is slowly filling back up with water. Taking your time so no sudden changes and you will be fine.:thumbup:

Tim

·
11,345 Posts
I dont touch my sandbed. Water changes like most, 15-20% every 2 weeks, but good flow, minimal feeding and cooked rock make it so i have no reason to touch my ssb, dsb OR vacuum out my sumps.
I DO however spend about 2 minutes every water chagne vacuuming up the floor of my bb tank, but my NEW bb tank, i still have this delusion that i will NEVER have to vacuum the floor.
Geoff, you just wait:D .................you might have to wait quite while to actually see it as im STILL not done with the FIRST tank, but theres nothing that cant be accomplished :idea: simply by using a bigger hammer!!!!!;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
if you do tap water, should you add the salt to the tap water first and get the right salinity level? and add all the bio safe and bio coat drops in too? and then add it to the tank?

·
11,345 Posts
Confused Korean said:
if you do tap water, should you add the salt to the tap water first and get the right salinity level? and add all the bio safe and bio coat drops in too? and then add it to the tank?
Yes but you would be doing yourself, your tank, and all of your time and monetary efforts a lot bigger favor if you just bought a ro/di unit. In the long run i guarantee you it will be cheaper. I have my own well with nearly pure water and i paid the price dearly when the water table all of a sudden jumped in phosphate levels. Its not even worth it. Check out ebay and the classifieds here and RC. You can pick up a nearly new nice unit for under $100 all day long if you search a little. The water we put in our tanks is one of the most important things we do. Dont cut corners.

Get a 4 stage or more unit, brand isnt so important as they all do pretty much the same thing. I use spectrapure but i dont hink it matters much. They all cost pretty much the same.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I found that even when I stretch the WC's to 2 weeks, my magnesium level starts to drop.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I do 2 water changes a week. A 2 gallon on Wednesday and a 1 gallon on Sunday. I have a 7 gallon Mini Bow. I am always impressed with the crap that I pull out of my tank. When I change my purigen and phosguard, rinse my filter it turns the old water brown.

Thanks

·
Registered
328 Posts
Fly Guy said:
Yes but you would be doing yourself, your tank, and all of your time and monetary efforts a lot bigger favor if you just bought a ro/di unit. In the long run i guarantee you it will be cheaper. I have my own well with nearly pure water and i paid the price dearly when the water table all of a sudden jumped in phosphate levels. Its not even worth it. Check out ebay and the classifieds here and RC. You can pick up a nearly new nice unit for under $100 all day long if you search a little. The water we put in our tanks is one of the most important things we do. Dont cut corners.

Get a 4 stage or more unit, brand isnt so important as they all do pretty much the same thing. I use spectrapure but i dont hink it matters much. They all cost pretty much the same.
http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/mercha...oduct_Code=esu_pf2_50gpd_ro-di&Category_Code=
is that what you're talking about?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I use tap water(well water) i have had it tested. with good calcium levels. nitrate 0 and pos is good also. have used it for a little over 3 years now and no problems

1 - 20 of 23 Posts