The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 150 G tank with a fuge and a skimmer rated for a 220G. I would say around 100lbs live rock and about a 2 inch bed of live sand on the bottom of the tank along with my fuge filled with sand, rock, and chato. I had my tank for over a year and did not do a single water change besides topping off with fresh ro/di water. I HAD about 4 different corals and mulitple fish. I would add I say a fish every month or 2 and had no problems with my water quaility. I would take samples of my water in to the local fish store every month if not twice a month and the water quality was spot on. So one day I get the bright idea to do a water change (this is about month 14) then all my corals slowly started to die and then the fish started disapearing. So here is my question. If you have a natural system ie a REEF system are water changes needed?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Water changes are necessary to remove waste buildup and provide essential trace elements back into the tank. By not doing water changes, excess nutrients are allowed to buildup in the tank instead of being removed. Sooner or later, you will hit the max capacity of your sand/rock and things will go downhill very quickly as those nutrients leach back into the tank. That may be what is happening already.

What tests are being done to determine water quality?

Just because you fish and corals have adapted to lower quality water over time doesn't always mean that things are going well. There is a noticeable difference between a tank that is thriving and one that is just surviving.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is a good water test set to use? I do not have one. That is why I make many trips to the local stores.
Thanks for the info.
I always like getting answers from knowledgable people.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I like the Red Sea test kits for the basics: Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate

Salifert for the not so basics: Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium

And a refractometer for salinity.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'll tell you a dirty secret my friend... I haven't tested in years... I just throw all sorts of stuff in there and wish for the best.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Water changes are the norm...that said, I do know people who, for all intense purposes, do not do them...those people all have excellent means of exporting nutrients and are careful about what they add...I would guess that your recent water change caused a drastic change in water chemistry and stressed your inhabitants leading to the demise...most people fare much better by doing regular water changes...if your system is one of the rare exceptions that can go without them I would encourage you to invest in some test kits and some form of trace mineral replacement should program.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts