The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, it looks like a good one.

I've posted this question on other forums but never get a response. What are people's opinions on using pre-packaged sea water (Catalina Water Company Real Ocean, in my case) versus using filtered tap water and instant ocean salt? We've been using the Real Ocean water just because it's easy and available at the pet store near where we live. We let it sit in the house for a few days to come up to temperature before adding it to the tank.
We've got a 90 gallon tank with around 90 lbs of live rock, 2 false percula clowns, 4 blue/green chromises, 3 peppermint shrimp and a cleaner crew of margarita snails and hermit crabs. We do a 5 gallon water change every 10 days or so. But, now that we've added fish (last week) we may do changes more often. Water is siphoned out of the tank, then the new water added to the sump. We're all done in about 15 minutes and there's no mixing.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Monica

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN WE DONT HAVE LIVE OCEAN WATER AROUND HERE AND HAVE TO MIX IT!!!!!

I was wondering what is the best mix for reef tanks? and If the premixed water is the best where do you get it?

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
If I had the option of using pre-mixed saltwater, I certainly would...

HHC

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get it at the Petco pet store. Catalina Water Company and Petco have some sort of relationship - the Petco logo is also on the box. Check out their website(www.catalinawater.com) - seems they have a pretty good operation. All the water is super filtered, it's used by public aquariums...I just wonder if the SPG might be a little low. Our LFS recommends between 1.023 and 1.025..our SPG is typically around 1.023.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
1st welcome to TRT! I use to make mine up.And know I only have a medium size tank and I use Catalina and since I changed to it(1 1/2 years) my Coarals are growing fuller and faster.Fish are the same,but more mellow.And like you said it's fast.But if you have a big tank it can be costley.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, that's what I was looking for - some else who uses the same stuff and has no problems with it. I think we'll work out the cost, and hopefully it'll go on sale once in a while. But I think the extra cost is worth the ease of it all.
By the way, about the forum - I've got the word "squid" under my name. Where did that come from and how do I get rid of it?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I mix my own water simply because I am not by the sea and Catalina water is not available here.
The "Squid" is your rank, this will change as you post. I know there is a way to manually change it but I don't know how. Then again it does not botther me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, so I'm a squid. I can live with that..
Thanks for the response. I feel better now, just was hoping this premixed water was not a bad idea..

So what's everyone's average SPG? I guess it depends on what's in the tank - still very very new to the hobby and have lots to learn! As yet, no corals..do they require higher SPG than the fish?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
i dont know but when i used to run my tank at 1.023 salinity my fish would get ich but since i have ran my tank at 1.021 all the time i have no problems. as for water i change is around i go to LFS and buy RO/DI water and mix it with Instant Ocean and sometimes i just buy the Catalina island water its salinity is at 1.026 and i ad RO water to bring it down to 1.021 hope this helps

·
Registered
799 Posts
I do not always use Catalina, but I do every once in a while. I do notice the corals seem to be fuller for the first little while after a change with it as compared to with mixed. It never does seem to go on sale, just so you know. I have nano's mostly though so it isnt so bad to do every once in a while.

David

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone! All the opinions are great, it really is helpful. I'm having a lot of fun getting this tank going. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They have it on sale at the Petco.com website, but the shipping costs are so high you could buy several boxes of water for what it costs to send it!

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
If you have a petco card ,every once in a while you get coupons to use on it.And It has gone on sale where I'm at,for $7.99 for a box.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I use real water from the atlantic filter (alegidly by the LFS) it is very cheap .50 per gal. and water changes are a breeze. let it warm to tank temp drain tank however many gallons and pour in the new stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts