The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey!
so, im tired of the way my water is looking, maybe its just me (everyone says its nice) but ive seen wayy better, and they say the more frequent the water change is the better the carity is, its a TAD bit murky and i hate it because last week it was nice and clear. i have a 38 gallon 'in the process of reef" tank. with 5 small fish.and about 25 pounds of live rock and 20 pounds of live sand. my salt is not the best but its better than the one i used last(salt would not mix right) i usually do a water change like 3 gallons a week*guestimate* i know its probably not enough but im scared to do more,how can i be sure that my water quality is at absolute best and maximum clarity. i am willing to do a large water change if needed tommorow. i use kent marine water clarifier but there are no "particles floating'' i have well water and im not able to buy already mixed water from the store.any advice on water clarity would be appreciated.
also i wa wondering if brighter lights would make the water look better, im wanting the lights that the biocube comes with because they are beautiful.
what wattage and whatever would you reccomend for a reef tank 38 gallons??? thanks

·
Administrator
18,786 Posts
Having a good quality skimmer will go a long way toward water clarity. Filter socks on your sump changed out every couple of days also helps. Water changes actually do very little for water clarity.

Water quality and water clarity are not the same. Water changes helps your quality, meaning it helps to keep nutrient levels down but it doesn't necessarily make the water more clear.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my tank is in my room 9im 16 so parents arent really into the whole lets go buy 1000 dollar items for your fish..) i only have a hang over filter, i heard they are bad IF you do not regularly clean them because nitrates/nitrites? build up in your tank, but i do clean the filter pad and floss, i believe this one filters 70 gallons? im planning on getting an even stronger on *200* a sump and or skimmer will not make the parents too happy no matter how much id want one..so i went with the only good thing i could get...and of course my live rock.. roght now i mixed my salt in a 5 gallon bucket *is it normal for the water not to be clear whwen you mix it? like at all/ im planning on letting it sit overnight and tommorow with an air stone in it tried to get my tiny 5 gallon filter to work but it didnt :/ so for now its sitting.

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Yeah its normal for it not to be clear. Thats why you let it sit for 24 hrs. It takes time to dissolve and will clear up.

Its ok that you dont have the right equipment as long as you take the necessary steps for cleaning it. Keeping your filter clean and up on water changes will help a lot.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh and i have a small powerhead from wally world:/ once i make some money im planning on getting two powerheads, a larger filter and some LED or hallide lights about 150K. need some upgrades:) im addicted and i love my fish to death its better than TV when the water is beautiful:))

1 - 6 of 6 Posts