The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question on water changes. I fill 2 5 gallon pails and mix in my salt with a peice of pvc pip and then generally let it sit for a day then give it another good mix before adding it to my tank after removing the old water.

Now this water sits getting to room temperature which is 70 degrees in my house. However my tank is between 78-79. Is it a problem doing this as I'm trying to avoid buying 2 more water heaters as there is other things on my purchase list. Right now I only have a CuC who h was just added and hasn't received a water change since they were introduced.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
60 gallon with 20gallon sump I generally fill into the sump and let it work it's way into the DT

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
With that much water volume I doubt you'd see that much of a temperature change. Have you measured the "before and after" temps? Shouldn't be more than a degree or two.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was concerned about this when I started using Scripps water because of the drastic temp difference between my tank (80ish) and the Scripps water (63ish). Initially I made sure to bring the temp up but started getting lazy and eventually started doing my water changes without bringing the Scripps water up at all. I did large water changes (roughly 50% on that system) with almost a 20° delta and never notice a reaction from anything. I'm not saying this is a good practice, just that I did it and never observed a reaction from anything.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for the reply. I have my thermometer in the sump and believe I noticed a temp drop to about 73 however I doubt that would be the same for the DT as the sump water volume is way smaller. I'll do my water change as planned tommorow. I am going to eventually have a larger water treatment system set up fill time once I make room in my garage and at that point I'll buy a water heater but at this point I'll continue on as planned. Thanks for the help and input guys.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Potentially less stress if the temps are nearly identical, but as essentially stated above, so long as there is not a major swing all at once, you are likely good. I tend to mix 10-15 gallons at a time and start it out at the same temp or a bit higher and don't let it sit so long with a circulating pump. It doesn't drop that fast, but I do fewer and larger changes, so the dip is potentially comparable. No one seems to care. I also make sure to replace any evaporation with fresh water before siphoning the tank to ensure my salinity stays on par. This can be done such that the eventual change is a bit more gradual.
If in doubt, don't add it all at once or place a spare heater in the mixing vessel overnight too.

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
A 70 degree room temperature and your tank being 78 your not going to see barely any fluxuation in your tank at all as long as you dont dump it all in with one huge pour. Slowly siphon it into your sump. Ive never ran a thermometer in my water change replacement water. You really should get a powerhead for mixing your water. Stirring it with PVC just isn't the same and I don't like letting it sit over night without a power head. Stagnent water is never a good thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts