The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a stupid question but I'm new to this so please forgive me. When you do a water change how do you get the new saltwater back into your tank. I think I read somewhere about using a return pump of some sort but not sure. I know you people with big tanks have to use something as cupping it back in isn't going to work. I have a 26 gallon so I don't need something super big to go from my 5 gallon bucket back to the tank. Do they sell a return pump with hosing or something?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Often the hose and the pump are sold individually.

You can use a pump to pump new water from the reservoir into the tank, you could pour water from the bucket if you want, or I use 1/2 or 1g pitcher... mostly because I do smaller volumes daily.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I don't have a sump. So you would need to take the pump with you when looking for hosing to make sure it fits the end. I have one like what was listed up top for mixing my saltwater. I'll have to find hosing. I didn't want to just pour it in figure it would make a mess. But my water changes wouldn't be to big that pitcher-it-ing it in wouldn't be bad.

Thanks!!! :)

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I use the hose off of my siphon and unscrewed the out put part of my power head and bought a 1/2 inch barbed/male end 90 plumbing fitting its a gray plastic screw the 90 into my powerhead take the hose off of my siphon put it onto the barb part of the fitting put the power head in the bucket plug it in and let it go watch out for back flow when you turn it off the water will come back into the tank of you don't take hose out of tank the petco 250 gph power head is what I use and any other powerhead may be different sizes

·
Chasing Stability
9,244 Posts
^
I did the same for my ATS. You could easily just use a pitcher and pour new water in the tank. If your into gadgets and automation it's cheap and easy to do. All you need is some tubing and a zip tie.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have a 125 and use a pitcher to move the water when I do a water change. But then again Im super cheap so I hate buying more than I need.

·
Salty Dog
1,044 Posts
I set the buckets on top of my hood and use my siphon hose to drain directly into the overflow. Since there is no sump, you can go directly into the tank. If you dont want to go fast with it, use a piece of airline tubing instead. It will take about 1/2 hour to drain 5 gallons onto the tank.

I just drain into the overflow to give it more time to mix with the tank water before it comes back up the return.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
i use a maxijet and some 1/2" tubing. the same pump i use to mix the saltwater. id recommend at least the mj900, as the little guy doesnt have the juice to get the water all the way up over the rim of my tank so i fill my sump.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
The best part of doing it with the pump and the hose if you have sand is you can blow off all the sand off the rock while your putting the water back in I know I get a little sand storm from siphoning and that way you don't have to use a power head in your hand sticking your arm all the way into the tank

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
am i really the only person that just pours it into the tank from a jug/bucket? go slow so you dont cause a huricane, and try to pour it infront of a power head or somethign if you dont have a sump so it stirs it in quickly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems like everyone has to just figure out what works for them. I just don't want to make a mess as my tank is on carpet. (maybe not the best idea) :-/ Pump and hose seems nice and easy though. And like someone said using the pump that I mix my water with, just have to get a hose.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Mines on a carpet also and it's not my house so that's why I started doing it with the pump but like I said before watch the back flow from the tank to the bucket it will come back way faster than the pump will put it in the first time I did it the bucket was full again before I even realized that it does that

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
mine is on carpet too, no issue, you can get a jug with a pour spout like a gas jug and poor it in like that too.

·
Salty Dog
1,044 Posts
I just toss the water back and forth between a couple of 5 g buckets a handful of times to mix it and drain it immediately into the tank with my siphon hose. I blow off the rocks before the water change with a turkey baster.

You get good at bucket juggling after a few times. They also sell metal drip pans for cars (so you dont leak oil on your garage floor) at the auto parts store. they come in 3 x 4 foot sizes with a shallow lip. Should help you from getting you carpet wet.

·
HarleyDavidson n FishyMan
1,166 Posts
I use my gravel vac and just siphon it in the sump. I sit the water bucket on my chair and let her rip. one day I'll buy a pump.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I usually use a bucket above the tank/sump and siphon using airline hose. I like to add new water slowly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts