The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I performed a 10 percent water change on my 90 gallon tank 5 days ago and since then I have had a diatom bloom. My tank is a 90 gal with wet/dry, HOB reef Octo skimmer, dead rock that was starting to show what I think was coraline algae (it was purple), 3 inch live sand bed and 5 fish. I test water 2x a week. Parameters are perfect for the past 2 months. The tank is 3 1/2 months old. Did the water change restart the diatom cycle, and should I hold off on water changes?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had that problem a while back i slowed down on my water changes.The thing is if your filter system is handling the bioload then great that is what i figured out .Now on my system i have a 120gal refugium with 3 types macro so my readings are 0 i also run di-nitrator, GFO ,cardon,calcium reactor and i dose mag.One thing i would do is get RO water.

·
Administrator
46,835 Posts
With tap water no telling what is in it, even if you use something to neutralize the chlorine or chloramine. The possibility or residual nitrate or added phosphate compounds along with who knows what else is very high. Diatoms are temp phase from excessive silica derivitives. They usually come and go quickly as the free silica is used up by the diatoms in the system. I would certainly get an RO/DI unit and use that for replacing evaporative loss as well as mixing new salt water . In the past I set up a 75g with my well water, then started doing a series of 10-20% water changes weekly over a couple months time to try and dilute the original water

1 - 6 of 6 Posts