The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm interested in adding a starfish to my 28 gal hqi nanocube tank. I've looked a little...and have come up with this (if the link works):

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+528+580&pcatid=580

A marble sea star. I was interested in it because of its smaller size (says 3") and I've read that the fromia sp are reef friendly. Does anyone have any more information about it? or experience with it?

The other starfish I was interested in was a sand sifting sea star....but it says they grow up to 1' :confused: How do so many people have them in their tanks?!

Appreciate any help!

currently stocked with:
2 clownfish
1 royal gramma
1 yellow watchman goby
1 pistol shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
1 blue-legged hermit crab
11 nassarius snails
4 Banded Trochus Snails
:goldfish:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
The fromia is a better choice than the sand sifting I think - but you will have to keep your salinity very stable for it to survive

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
I think most people with sand sifters don't have them long enough to ge to 1'. They usually don't have a great survivability rate long term.

I've got a fromia star, and it's done well for the last 5 months. I'd recommend it.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,195 Posts
I researched both of those for my 28g nano. Due to the small size of the tank there is not enough crud in the sandbed for a sand sifting star, and not enough stability for the marble or any of the "picky" stars. Just one gallon of water is enough to change salinity.

We just got a standard issue serpent star and he is doing great.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I agree with Perry. I wouldn't get one a nano. Starfish require pretty stable salinity and nano's aren't exactly the most stable environments. Evaporation throughout the day can swing the salinity a couple points.. and then adding Top Off water can shift it quickly the other way, unless you drip the Top Off water over a period of about an hour or two... kinda like re acclimating the Star every time you top ff

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I researched both of those for my 28g nano. Due to the small size of the tank there is not enough crud in the sandbed for a sand sifting star, and not enough stability for the marble or any of the "picky" stars. Just one gallon of water is enough to change salinity.

We just got a standard issue serpent star and he is doing great.

I checked some out on LiveAquaria.com.....says :

"The Serpent Sea Star is very intolerant of sudden changes in oxygen levels, salinity and pH of the water"

For all serpent stars except the fancy banded serpent sea star for some reason...
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+528+1742&pcatid=1742

Is that the one you have?

Why do all those darn pics of the 28 gal nano tanks have a bright orange star in the upper right of the tank...lol...it's false advertising!! :squint:

Attachments

·
Tokay Gecko Tamer !
944 Posts
I would say if you keep your tank up to Code :lol:
You should have a 50/50 rate inverts of anycinde Hate Swings .
They just dont have the Backbone to take it :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
a joke -bet365 Golden Years

well done gays let me tell you a jokeAn old man named bet365 was in his golden years, but that didn't stop him from trying to pick up the younger ladies. He went to the local bar, approached a very pretty and very young woman and said, "Where have you been all my life?" The young lady takes one glance at him and says, "For the first half of it, I wasn't even born yet." by bet365 have a nice day today

1 - 10 of 10 Posts