The UV I was thinking about getting was an aqua V 57 watt

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AV2273

some of the stats are

• 57W UV Sterilizer Max Flow: 3500 gph as clarifier, 3200 gph as sterilizer
  • Inlet: 3/4" barb or FPT, Outlet: 3/4” barb or FPT
  • Dimensions: 26.25" X 4" X 2.5"
  • Lightweight Unit- Weighs 5 lbs
  • Available in white only.
Now what I want to do is get one big enough that I can hook it into the drain from the main tank to sump to avoid getting yet another pump,

My main return pump is a

Poseidon PS1 rated at 540 galls per hr at 3ft head pressure which is close to what its at right now,

You guys think this UV will be big enough to do what I am looking for which is remove parasites that flow through it,

I have read taht you want 4 to 5x flow through a UV that is strong enough to kill parasites at this flow rate and this one while expenese seems like it will do the trick.

What do you guys think.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a 9W on my 29 gallon, so I don't see why you would need something that big on a 60 gallon. I'm pretty sure my 9W is rated up to a 125 gallon tank.

Second, you want the flow to be slower than normal through these, not any faster. The slower the flow, the more time the UV is in contact with the bugs in the water, thus killing them more effectively

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Scyre said:
I have a 9W on my 29 gallon, so I don't see why you would need something that big on a 60 gallon. I'm pretty sure my 9W is rated up to a 125 gallon tank.

Second, you want the flow to be slower than normal through these, not any faster. The slower the flow, the more time the UV is in contact with the bugs in the water, thus killing them more effectively
uvs are also best used on the way to the skimmer, on the skimmer intake so that the dead bacteria and algae can be skimmed out after being killed in the uv.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,735 Posts
zxcv123 said:
uvs are also best used on the way to the skimmer, on the skimmer intake so that the dead bacteria and algae can be skimmed out after being killed in the uv.
This is correct if your main goal is to have the UV improve your skimming.

A better way to controal parisites is to have it on a closed loop.

I personally run mine on the return from my sump.

I like your choice of UV's but would not run more than 1000 GPH through it, in fact I would keep it around 700 GPH or less.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at the emporers, but there website no longer works? You guys no a good vendor that sells them still?

And what I was thinking guys is this

I am going to plumb it on my return to the tank, that flow is 540 gph so that is max what I can put through it if I plumb it on return, this will also lead right to the skimmer and eliminate the need for the pump.

The catch from what I have read is that in order to get rid of parasites you need to have 4 - 5 by turnover an hr in tank water volume,

To be able to do this I would need 60x5 = 300 gph,

that flow is alot for a small UV but a big one with strong lighting could handle this no problem even at a flow rate of 540 gph which is what my pump is pushing, This is why I want a big one make sense?

If you guys no where to find an Emperor I'd be happy to get one but with there website being down I have to ask myself do they even still support these UV's? Where would I get replacement lights etc from that I can trust.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
that pump will be able to push that sterilizer and still give you the flow you need on the return.

i would look for one with bigger ports on it though. 3/4" are pretty small.

i remember seeing a distributor for Emporer, i will see if i can find it again.

G~

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the link and the spelling :)

Now I found one model that would seem to work

314 GPH / suggested flow
525 GPH / max

Its only a 40 watt though compared to the 57 of the aqua,

They are both about the same price?

What do you guys think? There is a 50 watt super high output Emperor but its 600 bucks compared to the 350 of the other ones.

tough deciscion here.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
When I first got my Emperor UV I didn't realize the tubing needed to be cleaned frequently...at that time they didn't make a squeegy to clean off the bulb, they now do...a great investment if your gonna get a uv...also when you plumb the whole thing in- its worth a ball valve/gate valve on both ends, so you can easily disconnect for whatever reason (if you put some tubing on the side you can put this in its place when you do maintenence) . Just some extra thoughts that I hope will be helpful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts