The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

One of my starboards is a tad warped...if I put enough rock pressure I think it will straighten it out... any thoughts?

Also, should I use silicone to seal the gaps between the two boards, my tank is 72in long.

thanks
G

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Just put more rock on it,I would not silicon the gaps,just keep em vacumed clean.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, that is what I figured....

also, my tank was made by visio...it isn't eurobraced, so it has the black trim going all around the bottom.... well, the bottom of the tank (glass bottom) sits a good 1/2inch above the bottom of the black trim...so essentially the only thing that would be touching the stand would be black trim.

My buddy who I ordered the tank through and has a visio as well says this is normal. I have never had such a big tank so just not sure if this is or not.. any input?

Should I use a styrofoam pad under the tank? If so, what size? 1/2inch? 3/4inch?

thanks
G

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,735 Posts
I would not put foam under a tank like this, because the trim has a tendency to sink into the foam and cause odd pressure points on the glass.

I only have one tank that has a flat glass bottom, every other tank that I have ever owned has that floating bottom pane that doesn't touch the stand, including my 6 foot 125. I have seen 300+ gallon tanks with the floating bottom pane.

HTH,
Whiskey

Edited for a stupid spelling error that I corrected with the wrong word through spell check :rolleyes:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dude Wiskey you are the best!! thanks for that input ;) This board is much better that RC so far, i get a lil more attention here, RC is so big... of course I am sure this place will become big eventually, but for now I can enjoy it as much as I can...

I'll try to get some pics up of how the project is coming along..

I have my canopy all stained and sealed...stand is now stained and I just need to put a second coat of stain and then seal...

In the meantime I have a 120g cube I am trying to unload, so if anyone knows someone who wants one let me know.

G

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,735 Posts
Gmoney said:
Dude Wiskey you are the best!! thanks for that input ;) This board is much better that RC so far, i get a lil more attention here, RC is so big... of course I am sure this place will become big eventually, but for now I can enjoy it as much as I can...

I'll try to get some pics up of how the project is coming along..

I have my canopy all stained and sealed...stand is now stained and I just need to put a second coat of stain and then seal...

In the meantime I have a 120g cube I am trying to unload, so if anyone knows someone who wants one let me know.

G
Thanks, I enjoy a slower pace too. I like tanks with the floating bottom pane better, I don't have to worry about pressure points across the whole stand top, just the 2*4 framed rim. I was really worried when I realized my one tank was not a floating bottom, it almost halted the whole construction process.

I love that sealer, I put on so much that the bottom of my stand will hold water :lol: the only problem is getting the water out after an overflow.

I would love a 120 cube, but shipping a tank would probably not be reasonable.

You should put up some pics of your progress ;)

(We love pics here)
Whiskey

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First of all, I am the ORIGINAL Gmoney on ANY discussion forum.. goes back to 1996 when I used it...believe it or not :)

Wiskey, you are in Az, a quick 8 hr drive ;)

I will try and get pics...

I had to mod the stand I had build for me, the guy who built it didnt put the righ size lip for stand to go in...I told him it needed to be 72.5 x 24.5 and he made it 1/4 in too small for each dimension... so I made some mods, put some more 2x4 legs on there to make sure its all good....so I think I am all good to go.

Sealing the stand bottom isnt a huge issue since my plumbing is going through the wall to garage where my sump will be... so chances of a leak are smaller..and if they do happen, most likely it will be in the garage.

I'll try and post pics later..

G

1 - 9 of 9 Posts