The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I dont get this one. I also dont know how many marine aquariasts do other stuff at night, while thinking about how something works or why it works or how to make it better.

Let me try to explain this though, or get an answer is what I am really trying to do. WTH!!!! Is Zooplankton? I mean, I know what it is - but how does it actually fit into an ecosystem outside of a fish tank? The textbook dictionary definition is this.

Plankton that consists of animals, including the corals, rotifers, sea anemones and jellyfish.

and this

animal constituent of plankton, mainly small crustaceans and fish larvae

Then on the back of the containers, these are the ingredients

Dried shrimp, Copepods, fish, crabs and many other freeze dried marine inverts

WHEN did that stuff start floating the ocean? I can understand the MASSIVE scale of some animals that have the ability to actually catch these animals out of the water columns from time to time. Apparently it doesnt happen that often though. Outside of that, I have never seen any of the above animals accidently crawl over one of my SPS corals, LPS corals or into my clams incurrent syphon only to see it digested. So what good does it actually do for a tank? Are there any other forms of carnivoris foods that people are feeding their "filter feeding" corals and clams and so forth that I should know about? Because all this stuff freeze dried doesnt make much sense to me. The more I study about it, the more it seems to confuse me. Especially with a countless shelf filled with books about the biology of actual marine systems. Most SPS corals even live in symbiosis with many crabs and shrimp.

PS: Rotifiers and Fish Larvae I can partially understand

·
Registered
537 Posts
I am afraid that your question isn't super clear to me but I will try to help as much as I can.

Plankton includes all microscopic life in the ocean, not just animals. Zooplankton is microscopic animals, phytoplankton is supposed to be plant like with photoxynthtic properties.

As to bottled junk, its called false advertising.

As to what I feed my filter feeders, well, they get the blender mush leftovers from my fish and what occurs naturally (pods of all kinds). My brains happily eat nutrient enriched brine shrimp but everything else is expected to scavange from the water column which they do.

Does this help or did I miss the point completely?

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that he was saying phyto is bottled non-sense. Which basically I just found that out about 2 days ago. That it SLIGHTLY helps the growing of pods, which in turns lay microscopic eggs, which in turn produces a form of Zoo - then the pods are also eaten by fish and other things. So basically it doesnt do that much.

I am going to try out Liquid Life for a bit and see what it does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts