The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I want to bite the bullet and add a sump. I can't handle the water evap much anyone, or the surface gunk.

What do I need to get it up (the minimum) and what are the best low cost things to add that will do the job?

I figured I need a tank (I have a 27 gallon hex that's empty..had my 10 year old goldfish in it..have to make sure I haven't used any copper meds..I've treated her for swim bladder infections and fin rot in the past...anyone have any idea what type of meds have copper in them?..figured I could use this tank until I found a better one at a garage sale or something...if it had copper in it will anything clean it out..I'm assuming no).

.......a pump and an overflow. I want to try to go without an auto-top-off at the moment (so the water will just evaporate from sump and I can just add to that daily, right?). Please lmk as I want to do this asap. Thanks.

Michelle :)

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Hmmm...imho, once a tank is coppered, I believe it is one you don't want to use in reefkeeping. As far as the medicines go, I dunno...but I would be wary. I am sure someone else will chime in.

You listed all that you need. I would consider a mag for a return pump...long lasting and not too pricey. Have you thought about a rubbermaid for a sump? You can get a decent sized one for fairly cheap. I can't speak to the overflows cuz I have never used them, but I know CPR makes them (but pricey?), as do a few others.

I won't comment on auto top-off, except to say they make me nervous.

Good luck...I look forward to hearing of your progress! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I would just go to wallyworld and get a rubbermaid container and then purchase an overflow online and run it with a mag drive pump.

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
I'll chime in here
you don't need to purchase an over flow
I'f I read correctly, you have an acryilic tank
those are very easy to drill for a bulk-head
fit the bulk-head with a street elbow and a screen, and you have your RR tank
the sump can be anything that holds water
the bigger, the better
I'll agreee, a mag 5-7 is a good starting point for a return pump
external pumps are a bit quieter and add less heat

as for Auto Top Offs, I got the Tunze osmolater and love it
it uses a photo sensor instead of a float switch to turn th pump on
if the pump runns for more than 10 minutes which usually means the resivoir is out of water
it will shut the pump off untill you reset the system
and it has a back-up float switch for a high water shut-off
in-case the photo switch gets stuck

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Michelle Walmart has a lot of different sizes try there.:)

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
No way! it could crack! You would need it empty and away from the wall dont even chance it.:eek:Yes on the Mag 7 = 700

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Casey said:
No way! it could crack! You would need it empty and away from the wall dont even chance it.:eek:Yes on the Mag 7 = 700
That's what I thought. I will be moving this whole thing in little over a year. Wouldn't I just be able to use an overflow for the moment (or something else...anyone can chime in here..I need something to skim the surface....) until I empty it..move home..get it drilled then....

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
An overflow would be great for you now,when you move drill that badboy.:)

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
ouccmich said:
excuse my ignorance as well...what's a bulk head?
Its a pvc fitting to go in the hole you drill to attach pipe to.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
You can get pool hose at Home Depot thats flexible and works great overflows are all over the internet ,I dont use one so cant recommend a brand here.The flexible tubing is the easiest.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts