The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 30 gallon tank that has been up for a couple of months. All I have on it, right now, is a Penguin Filter (I took the bio wheels off of it before I set it up). I would like to get a skimmer. I'm new at the larger sized tank and am not sure what I should be getting. If I get a skimmer do I need a filter systems too?
Any suggestions on a skimmer for the 30 gallon?

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
No filter needed. You are gonna need a hang on style skimmer though unless you do a sump. (I would). ASM Mini-G is going for 100 bucks new... Tito has one for sale right now (Southern MN) for 89. If you do decide to do a sump this is the way to go... I have to meet him anyway so I could probably pick it up if you decide to do that. If not as far as hang on skimmers go I think the remora is the way to go (Aqua C). You will pay quite a bit more for it though. What you should do is buy a 55g from me, and use your 30 as a sump... LOL

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
I have had a SeaClone on my 46g for that past few years and have been marginally happy with it. I bought an AquaC Remora Pro to replace it, but now I don't need it because I can't use it in my new sump. I have heard really good things about the Remoras though.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I have a Red Sea Prixzm protein skimmer on my 20 gallon setup. I think the thing works great, although alot of people out there do not like it. Once you get it dialed in, just let it be and it works great.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
i have the red sea prizm deluxe on my 55g and dang this thing really does a great job
once you get the flow right it pulls out the grossest nasties
i change the cup twice a week and its full of black dark green sewer smelling juice :eek: :agree:

and the plus side to it, zero micro bubbles released back in the tank. this was my main concern
has a neat lil carbon or whatever you want compartment too

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have a AquaC Remora on my 38gal and love it. I have had the seaclown and the coralife. I think the AquaC is the one to get.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I have a CPR bak pak on my 29 and it works great! I empty nasty black/green crud out of the collection cup about every 2 days... I like to skim heavily.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm gonna look into them all. I'm cheap. So, whatever is the cheapest for the quality is what I'll go with.
I just got my lights (didn't get the mh's I wanted) on sale for $70. I got the Odyssea 24" dual strip pc at 65w - 12k and dual strip actinic 65w. I'm not going to have acros, so I figured I would be safe with pc's instead of mh's.
So many pieces of equipment to buy for a bigger tank, than the 9 gallon nano. I'm gonna be in-debt forever!

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
i have the red sea prizm deluxe on my 55g and dang this thing really does a great job
once you get the flow right it pulls out the grossest nasties
i change the cup twice a week and its full of black dark green sewer smelling juice
:agree:

and the plus side to it, zero micro bubbles released back in the tank. this was my main concern
has a neat lil carbon or whatever you want compartment too
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
I have to agree. I have one on the frag tank and it REALLY does a good job! I filled the compartment with organic bio-media and kept in in the sump of my main tank until i needed it.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
yep gotta hit those sales petunia :funny:
when my 55g was just done i kept the budget to just under $700 bux..which isnt too bad including the live rocks, lights, sand etc
drfosters and smith i find have the best sale prices
thats where i got the prizm deluxe, i think it was 89.99
sometimes i get lazy and dont wanna make that half hour trip to that pet place so ill order alot online...hehe
i knew i had a problem when i would order a 5 dollar fish yet pay 30 bux in shipping and handling :doh: :funny:
dang im so lazy :beer:

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I used a Red Sea Prism for two years on a 58-gallon reef, and I liked it a lot. Paid $80 for it on sale at the LFS but it was very easy to clean and maintain. Never had a problem with it, sold it with the tank last year.

HHC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts