The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so im looking for my first job. im 18 by the way. and there is nothing more that i would love to do than to work at my local fish store(other than my career path of being a marine biologist). and the store is a privately owned store, but he does have a couple employees, so i know he hires. any tips on how i can get a job there? i asked him and he said he isnt hiring right now, so i asked him if i could volunteer and he said maybe, and i gave him my info. what else can i do to show him im interested?

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
sounds like me, a few years ago.
i left the LFS because i hate it, i could not stand what they did to people.
and im currently in school for a Ph.D, major in marinebio, and minor in Ichology.

if he said no to volunteering than i dont know what kind of chance you have.
in this economy free help is always a great thing.
when i worked at the LFS, i was told to throw out every app that came in from teens. just because most teens find it would be cool to work there, but dont give a, about there job, nor the hobby.
that upset me about the lfs also, because just like me theres other young people who really do care. and know what there talking about.

·
Super Moderator
22,088 Posts
Or mention maybe being part-time (during their busy days-weekends?) to get your foot in the door, so to speak.

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
also spending lots of time there helps.
find out there times when they get shipments in, around these times there are few people there, i find its a great time to talk with the employees and school them up on their unknown species.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
LFS’s gets teens in asking for jobs on a weekly basis. Most LFS are looking for someone long term. It’s hard for them to train someone then have them move on in a year or so. It’s also hard on the customers since they build close relationships with the employees over time. The employees over time will know the customer’s tank and the customer would rely on that one on one relationship. Its a lot like sticking with the same barber for 20 years. And on top of all that ‘hobbyist’ tend to have conflicting interest with an owner who is trying to run a business and not a hobby.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts