The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe that I did this!!!!:angry:
I did a water change in the beginning of the week in my nine gallon. Two days later the xenia were totally closed up and, everything was looking droopy.
What the heck! How could this happen when everything was doing sooooooo well?!!?
So, I did a salinity test! Oh my gosh, the water that I used was fresh water!:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :arg: :arg: :arg: :arg:
I did a few water changes over the next two days, checking the salinity after each change, making the transition a slow one. I finally got the salinity back to normal.
Loss equaled one fluorescent green candy cane.:(
Has anyone else ever done this? (or, admit to doing this?)

·
11,345 Posts
Sorry for your loss...glad that was all you lost though.

I did the opposite a long time ago. Or at least a long time ago in MY reefing history........Didnt know any better and was topping off with saltwater. Was only checking the salinity in the buckets i was adding..........i lost more than i care to share......i was at .033 when i figured it out.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Haha...I think mine is even more bone headed then yours.
A year ago I was using those 5 gallon Culligan water containers for storing
my RO/DI water and waste water. Saving waste water for doing laundry.
Well, I didn't label the containers and I use the RO/DI water for laundry
and use 5 gallons of the waste water to top-off my tank. Had to do a
quick 90% water change. Luckly nothing die :)

Beng

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Sorry about you're candy Cane. My fresh water is usually right-on, but I've had a lot of it end up right-on the FLOOR!!!

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Sorry for your loss, Petunia. :(

I think everybody who's reefed for any length of time has done something wrong, no matter how careful we are. Just glad you caught it in time to save the rest.

I lost virtually everything in my tank a couple years ago when the teenager who took care of it while I was gone on an extended trip topped it off with SW instead of the clearly labeled FW!!! He was a neighbor who I thought was well-trained as he'd taken care of the tank on many other occasions. My mistake for leaving the big tub of SW bubbling away.

Hope everything else recovers well.

Dick:)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
my neighbor fed the fish while we were on vacation last year, and I laid out portions of food fod that day. Well she dumped so much food into that tank,,, the subsrate was covered with it when I got Bak. I lost a clownfish, but dont know if he died from explosion from overeating.

·
Super Moderator
27,070 Posts
OUCH, Petunia! Yup, I did something like that years ago. I was slurping up cyano, and water with it, and added FW to make up for the SW that was lost. Luckily, Doug helped me out by telling me how to slowly raise the salinity.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
That sucks... sorry about the candy cane. Small price to pay for a good lesson though. I bet you'll never do it again!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I added RO/DI water with PH buffer to a tank with no livestock in it... I came back out an hour later and the water was white as it Precipitated off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts