The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I lost battle to bubble/cyano/gha algaes a months ago I decided to cook all of my rocks. While they are sitting in the dark tub this presents me with the opportunity to get rid of U-tube overflow, i.e. drill the tank. My tank is a standard 48" long 55G tank from WalMart. If I could remember when I bought it there was only one red sticker on the bottom that says "do not drill, tempered glass", but there were no stickers on other glass surfaces. So, If any of you guys have tried to drill this particular tank please let me know how or who could do it for me. Thanks a bunch!

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Awful risky without being positive. 55g are the most notorable for being tempered on the sides. If it came as past of a setup package in a box then most likely is not drillable.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i think mary (mtfatwork) has a perfeto 55 that you can drill, ask her about it

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I am leaning toward that sides are tempered also because they are quite thin. Still, I'd like to know if anyone had came across drilling this type of tank. If so, I'd like to know the result :)

-- edit --

oops, didn't see your post rihanssu
I am gonna pm mtfatwork, thanks

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
The result, if it is tempered. It will look like it is working, however the second the bit starts to break through the other side will shatter into millions of little pieces. If it's not tempered and breaks it will just make a large crack.

Unfortunately, you never going to know till the bitter end unless you can confirm with the manufacturer. I've tried 3 55gs, even one was a Oceanic and all ended up being tempered. So even the brand name doesn't mean it is going to be okay and must be able to confirm before drilling unless your willing to risk the tank and have money in hand to go pick out a new one. Typically, most larger sizes ( say 75g ) it is most likely okay but for 55g they are just so mass produced and typically used for freshwater that many are tempered on all sides.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts